salinity changes

creep

Ok, i finished the cycle for my tank a few days ago. I have been paying close attention to the levels of my tank making sure everything is stable. While doing these tests i realized that when my tank and sump are at the proper water level my salinity is between 1.024 and 1.025. I have about a gallon of water evaporation everyday. And usually add the top off water every morning. But before I add the top off water i test my salinity and it is around 1.026/1.027. Will this change in salinity affect my livestock much. I don't currently have any livestock in the tank, but want to make sure they will be ok for when i do add them.

I think oceans salinity is 1.026 but not exactly sure. So I wouldnt think so but im sure a better expert would know.

You can really cut down on the guessing game with salinity by adding an auto top off of some sort. Many options out there, but I use autotopoff.com Great, reliable product. I keep my salinity at 1.025 with no fluxuations.

the ocean is different in many places. Rocky point it was 1.027 and another place it was 1.028. In california there was one spot that is 1.026 and another thats 1.025

And then you got the dead sea thats got so much salt nothing can live in it lol ;)

But i've found that an SG change of that little doesnt realy do much. But then again, if i had expensive sps corals and a 200 dollar angelfish, i would make sure it was all really stable. But maybe just try topping off 2 tiems with smaller amounts rather than 1 gallon per day. But i dont know..imo some people kinda make it too big of a deal (evap). Just keep it up to top at all times and it wont fluctuate.

I think it will be fine. I some times leave for the weekend "2 days max" and my tank takes about a gallon of top off water! Never had any problems with live stock.

my 55 does about 2 gallons every 3 days...sometimes it'll do a gallon or 2 a day (specially if i open a window to let the humidity out) Never had problems.

thats good to know. I rigged up a cheap top off sytem. Just took a one gallon jug, some airline tubing and got it to drip once every few seconds. then what ever i need to fill in the morning i will fill. and replace the water in the jug. hopefully that keeps the levels constant.

dumping in freshwater at once is not a good idea. It can cause stress to your fish, and ich outbreaks. I recommend an auto top off. makes life easy.

yeah i know alot of people that run fish only tanks at 1.022

i imagine if your going to sink alot of money in corals i would also recommend the auto top off i have the tunze one that came with my tank. and love it.

I dont know personaly I think the auto top is a waste of money but would be all right just to make your own! I never use one all I do is replace water in the morning before I go to work and at night be for bed, Never had a problem with live stock dying except snails but found that my Clown was attacking them from getting to close to eggs and knocking them in the sand for the craps to attack them to!

ya same here my. my sg never changes. If you've got the time to take care of your fish and feed them everyday, then you've got time to top off your system so nothing changes.

I like autotopoff since I can use it to dose calcium and alkalinity (via limewater), it keeps salinity very stable over week-long vacations, and I don't have to do manual topoff, which is more work. Also, SG is more stable, especially during the summer when evaporative cooling is useful.

Back