Salt preference

Most of my accounts, I use IO but prefer other salts such as Crystal Sea Marine mix. And to +2 on you not labeling the thread with "best salt"!

Scorpius, I still have yet to try that salt. Its good to hear something good about it b/c it doesn't seem to be brought up all that often.

Using IO again. I like to mix RC and IO 50/50. But really IO is not bad for the money, numbers are just a little on the lower side.

Currently unhappy w coral pro...what your experience? I'm looking to try tropic marin? any thoughts?

Why are you unhappy? I will be switching to Red Sea Coral Pro from Reef Crystals. Got tired of the inconsistencies and brown residue of Reef Crystals. I ran test on other big brands and Red Sea Coral Pro had the best results.
At $90+ a bucket for Tropic Marin Pro Reef 6.6dKH is unsat.
Tropic Marin Pro Reef
Mg 1350
Ca 470
Alk 6.6 dKH

Seachem Reef Salt
Mg 1200
Ca 527
Alk 10.47 dKH

Reef Crystals
Mg 1080
Ca 450
Alk 8 dKH

Red Sea Coral Pro
Mg 1470
Ca 480
Alk 12.32 dKH

Last edited:
Salt preference

In 12+ years 99% instant ocean with a bucket of oceanic and a few reef crystals the exceptions. Amazon prime is fantastic. Can usually get the boxes at 39.99 shipped

I use reefers best salt but its on the pricey sides and is only really worth it if wanting to run a hardcore SPS tank. I've found that RBS has the best and most stable potassium content of any salt I've used. Although because it doesn't have any anti-caking agents you have to shake the bag of salt when you first get. This is because some of the elements can settle in shipping. Although I've seen a lot of people lately using Hw Marinemix with good results.

Aquavitro Salinity, I've used other salts but still find this one give me the exact parameters I want for my SPS.

+1 for Salinity... Mixes well, constant alk and calcium bucket to bucket..

Dear OP, any salt will work, and you need to find out which one will serve your needs.
I've been using Salinity for years as I do large 35% weekly water changes & from batch to batch the parems match perfectly.

Only caveat is precip on barrels, price, and you must buy from a lfs (which is a good thing).

Back