Saltwater Aquariums in new Marlins Stadium....

Enjoy

That's what she said....
Saw this this morning. Curious how it will all work out....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fishx-large.jpg

This is no fish story. The Marlins said today they plan to have two saltwater aquariums as part of the backstop behind home plate in their new stadium that is scheduled to open in 2012.

This may be the most interesting ballpark feature in baseball, surpassing the tank full of rays beyond the right-center field fence in St. Petersburg and the swimming pool in beyond the right field fence in Arizona.

"Among the most unique features of the New Marlins Ballpark will be the twin Custom Saltwater Aquariums that will flank both sides of home plate,'' the Marlins press release stated. "These one-of-kind aquarium exhibits will provide baseball fans with a firsthand glimpse of the fish and coral reef ecosystems that are synonymous with South Florida.

"The aquariums will be built on each side of home plate and will be been positioned to prevent any disruption to players on the field. The aquarium to the right of home plate (when looking from the pitcher's mound) measures an impressive 34 feet long, 36 inches high and holds over 600 gallons of seawater, while the aquarium to the left, will be 24 feet in length, holding 450 gallons of water.

"Each aquarium will be constructed using a durable fiberglass structure; while crystal-clear acrylic panels 1.5 inches thick will be used for the impressive viewing windows that run the entire length of the aquariums.

"To safeguard the exhibits from unexpected impacts, Lexan - the material used in bullet proof windows - will be installed in front and in back of the acrylic panels to protect the aquarium from foul balls, errant pitches or any other unexpected contact."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/06/marlins-new-stadium-to-have-aquariums-behind-home-plate/1

The fish will get scared as hell everytime a foul ball smacks against the back stop lol. so many dead fish from stress alone not to mention the noise factor. I bet this was created by someone who doesn't have a fish tank(s). Even my FW jardini arowana flips out for a second when the radio gets turned on lol.

Saltwater Aquariums in new Marlins Stadium....

This would interesting. But honestly the fish would get stresssed out. Also climate change would shift alot. Plus all the people and the kids would tap on the glass/acrylic. And we all know fish hate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I' just curious what their plans are for livestock, as well as lighting, filtration, etc....
I can't imagine a full blown sps reef tank.

well, i must say i think this is a pretty cool idea. if done right. imagine if it was stocked with a bunch of the WWC chalices and some lightbrite leds... very insane. I wish that there were more aquariums and reef tanks in more public places. Its always good to a lil ocean everywhere especially if done right.

Back