Saw a coral reef for the first time ever!

guitarfish

Premium Member
Hello all!

I've been out of the hobby for several years now, and I haven't posted here in quite a while. However, my love for aquaria has never diminished, and I miss it greatly!

My wife and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary this year, and we are in Jamaica this week. (Yes, the tropical storm was HELACIOUS :sad2: ) She's always wanted to go to the Carribbean her entire life. This is the first either of us have ever been here. Today we took a short boat ride off the coast of Ocho Rios, Jamaica, and saw a coral reef. As reefs go, on a scale of 1-10, this was probably a 2 compared to some of the magnificent ones out in the world, but wow, was it ever a treat!!

Lots of large brain corals. Some bleached corals too, sadly. Some big leafy looking softies I don't know the name of. The fish really captured us though. Electric blue color damsels I believe, or reef chromis; a gorgeous, stunningly blue tang; some pipefish; yellow & black striped clownfish; some dwarf angels; and some other fish I couldn't ID.

We held hands and gently floated over the top of the reef and it was like being in heaven, or the closest thing to it. The most beautiful thing in creation I've ever seen. I was so excited, I just had to post about it here. If you've never had the chance to do this, plan to do it someday!

Tell Me about it! LOL My dad lives on a beach of the Red Sea in Israel. Its so cool seeing how big the coral and fish can get in the wild. I saw a tang once as big as my cat. HAHAHA!

Summer, 1977. College course in marine biology. 3 months on an island, to catalogue one section of a large reef preserve. I've been trying to get back there ever since.

I'm an organismal biology major, concentrating in pre-med while studying on the gulf right now.

If for some reason my dreams of medicine don't fall through, marine biology and the study of coral environments will definitely be my pursuit of education. It's been a passion of mine since I was 15.

I finally got to see a coral reef in the Dominican last year. I snorkeled, but at the time I didn't know enough about corals and fish to truly appreciate the beauty and diversity. I hope to someday learn to scuba dive as well. Someday!!!!

Back