SC Aquariums Owners Thread

Little better? I'm possible with the ball valve.

Ea3WUR2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again for the constructive criticism.

I could only get one gate from a buddy, another off Amazon coming Tomm for the return.

hello all,

I puorchased an SCA80 with a custom stand late last year, and its been sitting in my garage since, waiting for me to re-finish my basement (had a flood) and I am getting close to completing basement so im now starting to think about my shiny (no dusty) tank sitting in the garage. Have a few questions:

1. Three holes drilled in bottom. Should I run a herbie (two to sump) and one return?

2. Or should I use the third hole to make a quasi bean animal, and plumb the return line up the back on the outside of the tank?

What about the bulkheads? Should I replace them as well, and if so, Is there room for in the overflow for 3 schedule 80 pvc bulkheads (looking for safety against failure).

one more note....sorry should have put this all in one...but I keep thinking of additional things..... If schedule 80 bulk heads fit.......is there a certain brand or place I need to get them from or is there enough room for any schedule 80......

schedule 80 bulkheads are actually less safe in many instances. SInce they are so thick they are less likely to crack themselves and thus can put much more pressure on the glass resulting in cracks and failure. Our tanks do not come close to the pressures needed for schedule 80 so stick to schedule 40 bulkheads. BRS or Amazon both have them.

yes most replace the plumbing and go PVC instead

Up to you if you want to do a bean or not. Really depends on if you are ok with the return coming up the back and over the top of the tank.

For now i would like to keep LPS and maybe but only way down the road some SPS. And i definitely don't want to go with T5's.

For now i would like to keep LPS and maybe but only way down the road some SPS. And i definitely don't want to go with T5's.

Sounds like decision made then lol. If no T5 then you probably don't want metal halides either. You could go with any of the major led brands ecotec, AI, or Kessils and keep LPS with no problem. I have the Hydra 52HD on a 36" long tank 12" Above the water and get good spread. There are also other led manufacturers out there that could suffice with LPS. If I may ask what is your concern with T5?

Hi All,

What's my best lighting option for the SC 50gal?

There are some cool mh/t5 combo options that look pretty sweet on many sites, such as brs. I have 1 ecotech radion over my Sca 50g and it provides good coverage with the lights suspended approx 15 inches above the water line. I do not have experience with other led's on a tank this size.

The reason I don't want T5 is because I want the shimmer effect, and you are right with regards to not wanting Metal halide due to the heat.

So basically I'm down to LED's I guess, so what are the main brands I should be looking into that are price efficient, but still effective?

The reason I don't want T5 is because I want the shimmer effect, and you are right with regards to not wanting Metal halide due to the heat.

So basically I'm down to LED's I guess, so what are the main brands I should be looking into that are price efficient, but still effective?

Depends on what functions you want. There are some cheaper leds often referred to as "Chinese black boxes" that are eBay. You can also look at rapidled and Steveleds are another cheaper option. You might find some eco tech gen3s used as well. Just read up and ask questions and you'll be good to go.

Back