Schedule 40 PVC VS Schedule 80 PVC for Setup.

JaysLittleOcean

I'm getting back into the hobby with a 150 gallon cube aquarium build that is reef ready with 1 3/8 Inch Holes. This can accommodate 1 inch PVC using Schedule 40 PVC or from what I am reading 1/2 inch PVC using Schedule 80. I was leaning toward Schedule 80 due to it1 s enhanced strength and longevity and I'm okay with the decreased flow because that will increase exposure time to the skimmer and other items in my sump. But just wanted to pick everyone else's brains and see what they think.

Schedule 80 is overkill. Sure, some of the fittings are stronger but in reality we don't use the fittings anywhere near their limits. As long as you aren't going all Hulk on the plumbing, it will last as long as the tank.

"Exposure time" only applies to single pass filtration systems. None of the equipment we are using is ever set up in a single pass configuration. They are all multi-pass designs and work best when the water chemistry throughout the entire system is the same. This means you should have plenty of turnover between the display and the sump to ensure everything is homogeneous.

+1 to Rocket Engineer's comments.

Schedule 80 is more expensive, heavier and for a given pipe size has a smaller lumen (=higher resistance and lower flow.) Not only is it overkill, it's spending more money on something that has inferior performance.

The only time it makes sense to get schedule 80 is with valves - the schedule 80 valves generally have better construction and better seals than the schedule 40 valves.

If you like the color, spend a couple bucks and get some krylon fusion paint and paint your pipes.

+1 to Rocket Engineer's comments.

Schedule 80 is more expensive, heavier and for a given pipe size has a smaller lumen (=higher resistance and lower flow.) Not only is it overkill, it's spending more money on something that has inferior performance.

The only time it makes sense to get schedule 80 is with valves - the schedule 80 valves generally have better construction and better seals than the schedule 40 valves.

If you like the color, spend a couple bucks and get some krylon fusion paint and paint your pipes.

Sleepydoc, silly question. Can you mix schedule 40 piping with schedule 80 valves?

Don't think a 1 3/8 hole will take a 1" sch40 bulkhead even; 3/4" I think. FWIW, a 1/2" bulkhead is comically small. Agree with the other folks that sch80 is unecessary.

Yes, you can mix the two. The outside of the pipe is the same, its just the wall thickness that's different. That's why Schedule 80 is more restrictive, the inner diameter is shrunk in order for the pipe to handle more pressure. Since our systems don't run anywhere near the pipe's burst pressure, it doesn't make sense to use the more restrictive Schedule 80 pipe.

Many good point's above,
If you tank is acrylic increasing a hole diameter is easy, if glass never mind:)
SCH 40 3/4" bulkhead or what ever size you need will work no problem. BUT if you could use either there is a big difference between a sch. 40 & 80 bulkhead. Tighten one of each side by side.....big difference so why they are not needed for most reef system's....if you have a choice 2 me I would go on ebay and spend a couple buck's more and go sch,80 bulkhead:bum:

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Now for the nest question where do you order your PVC plumbing parts online from? I went to my local Home Depot and they seem to be lacking in this selection.

I prefer Bulk Reef Supply and Savko. Mostly I use BulkReefSupply as I'm ordering stuff from them anyways. If I need something harder to find, like spare gaskets, I search Savko.

Get the tank holes bigger if possible, the max would be 1/2" in 40 or 80, only good for return

They actually make a thinner-walled PVC called SDR-21 that's rated to 200 PSI (I think), Still well above the pressures we deal with. Some people use this to reduce head pressure has it has a larger lumen than schedule 40 PVC.

Schedule 80 bulkheads are beefier, but require larger holes. If you treat them right, schedule 40 and even ABS bulkheads will work just fine. If there's enough torque or pressure that having a schedule 80 vs schedule 40 bulkhead makes a difference you are doing something wrong.

Back