School build, need a few things, anyone got any laying around?

Ludwigia73

Reef Reef Reef Reef Reef
Premium Member
Hey there, now that I'm financially destitute from setting up a reef tank at my girlfriend's school (Beachside Montessori, she teaches advanced biology), I'm in need of a few things.

The tank is a 40g extra long (4' wide, 18" tall, 13" deep).
I'm running 2 good chinese black boxes on top, and a double reef octopus hang on the back skimmer. All of this plus the rock and sand has left me tapped out, but I'm almost there.

Water is in, the light rack is built, sand and rocks are placed. I'll be posting pictures tomorrow.

Emphasis on the reef tank will be symbiotic relationships, and the kids will be fragging under my supervision. Halfway through the year I may set up a frag tank for growout.

Here's what I need:

Magnet cleaner for the glass
basic test kit
refractometer
a few pieces of seasoned live rock and a handful of sand to get the culture started
A couple of simple zoa frags to get it all started

Also, cleaning out and setting up a 75 gallon fish only that has been labeled the "death tank". I need a little rock and a 4' light (doesn't have to be reef related, just a standard fish tank light strip will do it.

I'll be available all day tomorrow, and I can pick up anything you can help with, I'm in Hollywood right on 95.

I would love to give a shoutout to a local store, but I fear it may be against the rules here... any ruling on this, mods? He's really helped me in this build.

I have dry rock lying around that you can have for the death tank. I'll also be happy to donate some zoas to the school tank. (how much/many frags are you looking for)

I'm in Davie also, but on Sheridan and 75. PM me your info.

Anything you can spare would be great.... What I'm really looking for is a couple of different types of zoas, a monti cap, a green slimer, some xenia, maybe an acan. I"ll be posting pics of the tank on my next visit. I got everything done, rock is how I want it, got the death tank up to speed with salinity (it was at 1.012). I think I have enough rock. Now it's just inhabitants.

I"m watching for some damsels for the death tank, will be ready for them in about 2 weeks.

i dont think ive touched my test kit, you can have it. Also, have a gargonia and toadstool that can be fragged if interested.

Ok, this is the FMAS I remember! was jonesing for the good old days, but thanks for all the generosity. I'll be touching base with each of you, thanks for anything you have available.

I would love to give a shoutout to a local store, but I fear it may be against the rules here... any ruling on this, mods? He's really helped me in this build.

It's okay to thank the LFS that helped you out with this.

WhoDey (Robert), thanks for the generosity, could you please pm me your address/location/store name, I'd like to come see you.

Thanks Dgen, appreciate it.

Aquatic Jewels has been helpful in getting this tank set up, from donating to allowing parents to get gift certificates so we can stock the tank. I've set a few frags aside to get us started, on my own dime. Ultimately I'd like a green slimer, purple or red capricornis, an encrusting monti, about 6-8 different color zoas, a few mushrooms, duncans, and a green bubbletip with maroon clownfish pair. Also, watching for a pistol shrimp/goby pair.

I did a presentation of the tank at each of her 5 periods, and had his information posted on the wall, quite a few parents took pictures, but no gift certificates as of yet. I also told them a check made out to his store would work (cleared it with him first), but still nothing. Met a few afishionados (LOL), and even 1 person who used to breed seahorses commercially. He didn't know about our club, I believe I may have recruited a member, especially since this meeting is about seahorses! Hopefully we can pick up a few new members through the kids.

By the way, Dgen... I appreciate your tagline under your post. I am fond of saying, "This is NOT the America I fought for"... we need better politicians, and that starts with us. Thanks for putting into words what we should all be understanding. We have work to do.

just broke down a 55 so i got medium to large live rocks, live sand, 2 simple wavemakers and other miscs that you can have. the only catch is I'm up in west palm beach......

Just pm'ed you, crimson... I'd drive to wpb for a few things. I work in boca, please call me.

Went to see Yonp11, it was great meeting you! He has a frag system I'd have been envious of, some really great pieces. He really hooked us up! I couldn't believe his generosity. Thanks so much, and as soon as these are mounted tomorrow night, I'll be doing a little video of the tank so everyone can see where the donations are going.

Thanks again, Mark!!!

Went to see Yonp11, it was great meeting you! He has a frag system I'd have been envious of, some really great pieces. He really hooked us up! I couldn't believe his generosity. Thanks so much, and as soon as these are mounted tomorrow night, I'll be doing a little video of the tank so everyone can see where the donations are going.

Thanks again, Mark!!!

A pleasure meeting you Chris, happy to donate. Looking forward to the updates on the school tank!

Final wishlist... I have a line on a green slimer and a green capricornis... would like some lower end softies like large palythoas, red sea xenia, xenia elongata, and nepthea. No one came through with gift certificates at her school, so this is still on my dime. Don't have to tell you this gets expensive fast!

I'm also looking for a small clownfish pair (preferably maroon), with a green or red bubbletip anemone, I'm sure I'll have to pay for that one. Anyone see one locally, drop me a line.

Also, just want to say I did the rounds of most of the miami fish stores, and I'm absolutely apalled at how the quality has dropped. (not going to flame anyone in particular), but dead fish, overpriced corals, some corals in bad shape, one store even had a dead hippo tang IN THE PARKING LOT in front of the store. Also noticed alot of stores in broward closed down, eco reef results (the old reefs edge), Coral Kingdom is closing (got a great small skimmer for $40, perfect shape , lots of hardware still for sale).

I'm going to work on the tank friday night, will be taking lots of pictures for this thread. I am off this week, so I can come pick stuff up during the day.

Very cool to see this Chris! My daughter is at beachside and my son was there last year. I think I know who the teacher is (I think my son Aidan had her last year) but I did not know anything about the new tank you set up. I'd be glad to donate anything I can. I set up the Reef tank at Hollywood Hills Elementary when Mrs Roberts was principal there and I really enjoyed talking to the kids about it with my son. Let me know what you still need and I'll see what I've got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainly need corals, I've got some zoas, and a candy cane and a frogspawn that doesn't want to open up, I'm looking for mainly hardy corals that will grow nicely. Hardware I'm pretty good with, just inhabitants.

Hey Ludwig, we have a number of easy/fast growing corals like encrusting gorgonian, xenia, palys, zoas, and a few leathers that are all very hardy and fast growing (fair warning about them taking over though!). If you're interested we could definitely help contribute to livestock!

Back