Scolymia identification

Shnabbles

I am looking at a coral online at a very reputable dealer.... My question is are Tonga Scolymia different from other Scolymia? The one in the picture below looks more like a lobo to me then a scolymia.... maybe its not just open... i thought scolymias where big and fluffy looking... let me know what you think

7-28.jpg

It's really hard to say for sure but that looks like a Scoly to me. Interesting one, too. Most true Scolymias don't inflate nearly as large as Cynarinas. Different species of the two are often confused.

would you say this is a rare looking specimen.... im trying to decide between this and a deep red Cynarinas.... ill probally go with which ever is harder to come by.

I'd go with the Scoly, personally. That is a nice Cynarina, but red ones aren't usually too hard to find. On the other hand, many of the Scolymia that are showing up right now are truly one-of-a-kind specimens.

Re: Scolymia identification

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14137741#post14137741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shnabbles
I am looking at a coral online at a very reputable dealer.... My question is are Tonga Scolymia different from other Scolymia? The one in the picture below looks more like a lobo to me then a scolymia.... maybe its not just open... i thought scolymias where big and fluffy looking... let me know what you think

7-28.jpg

very nice scoly!....i'd go for that over the red cynarina.

Tongan scolymias are almost always from the vitiensis species (the most common scoly from that region). The one you have pictured above looks more like a scoly from indo (ie. the one you have pictured might be indophyllia sp.)

Zach.

I do mainly LPS and have seen far cooler scoly's than that one, however normally the cynarina's i've seen are more pink and that one has more of a vibrant red color. IMO its personal prefrence but i would go with the cynarina.

The cynarian is $130.00 and the scoly is $90......hmmm i hate decisions... I really like the scolymias colors... i just hope it opens up more then what is shown in the picture.

hurry up and buy.... drmac anyone lol.

I have a scoly and it is a really mice coral, the cynarias are cool but i have seen nicer ones.

Bought the Cynarian on account of I know it puffs up the way I am looking for something to do.... I dont think this was the right type of scoly.. or not the type of scoly i was looking for.

Back