Scorched by a torch coral. Not Fun.

TheFishTeen

Working at a coral retail store in the heart of california has its benefits, and its disadvantages. One of those being having to touch so many corals, and forgetting to wear gloves. Two words: Not Smart. Especially with a coral named a torch. What did i expect?

IMG_3129-e1311014633555.jpg

For the first 10 seconds, its felt like 5 bees stabbed me in my hand. Then my middle finger became numb. This morning I wake up and my finger is sore, puffed up and infected and the pain comes back once again. Not only did the torch sting me, it actually left a small gash across my middle finger.

Moral of the story, wear gloves when handling livestock. I have a new saying I thought of because of this incident.

"If its living, it probably dont' wanna be touched".

Torch coral is the one coral I can't keep in my tank. Only because I get the same reaction. All the other corals I have don't affect me at all.

If it starts looking infected, don't mess around. Go to the doctor and tell them what got you. Infections from our tanks can get REALLY nasty if left unchecked.

Is this common? I have a torch coral that I've moved a few times, and I've got a bit of slime from it, but never anything like that... wow!

i work for a LFS and have never been stung by a torch coral . i do handle them daily and have never had any reactions to them . i would get to a doctor asap and get some help as there are may very nasty infectious bacteria that you need to be very careful of .
wear the gloves as your in the tanks way to often . i started not wearing gloves and got hit with poison ivy like blisters on my arm a couple of different times and they were very slow healing ,now its gloves or im not in the tank .

I get a similar reaction if I have any small cuts or burns on my hands and touch my frogspawn. serious swelling, itchyness and ooozzes puss for a week.

WEAR GLOVES

Is this common? I have a torch coral that I've moved a few times, and I've got a bit of slime from it, but never anything like that... wow!

They don't effect me either. But as you can see from the responses in this thread, some people can be sensitive to them. Same holds true for other corals and anemones.

TheFishTeen,

Aside from watching out for obvious signs of infection, if it simply doesn't seem to heal up properly...go to the doc. Most common infection for us to pick up from an in tank injury is marine tuberculosis (Mycobacterium marinum).

They don't effect me either. But as you can see from the responses in this thread, some people can be sensitive to them. Same holds true for other corals and anemones.

TheFishTeen,

Aside from watching out for obvious signs of infection, if it simply doesn't seem to heal up properly...go to the doc. Most common infection for us to pick up from an in tank injury is marine tuberculosis (Mycobacterium marinum).

I think I'll also be much more aware of cuts/wounds before I poke around in the tank. Gloves would have to be armpit high, and tearproof resistant to be any good... Man that wound looks nasty. I've heard of people losing limbs and digits pretty easy from gangrene.. I'd go to a doctor asap if it was me.

I've moved my torch a number of times, getting all up in it's tentacles and never had an issue. I guess I'm lucky.

My Hammer got me back in March while I was moving it to frag out for our local swap. I still have scars on my hand from it. My fault for not wearing gloves. I should've known better considering I'm sensitive to my BTA's stings.

Hammer-1.jpg

I must have tough hands, I've brushed my hammer and frogspawn many times, and stir kalk with my bare hands. I also like to pet lionfish, so soft and fluffy...ok maybe the last one was a lie

I dont feel a thing when I handle my BTA, but when i touch a little hammer coral my hand gets scorched. I dont get it. I guess different people react differently. I have never got stung by any other corals, and originally I was only staying away from carpet anemones. Not any more! Medical grade surgery gloves every time i get in the tanks for now on.

Not only do different people react differently, but the same person can react differently from one year to the next. I never used to have a problem when I brushed up against my Ricordea. Now I end up with welts like JokerGirl's picture.

Not only do different people react differently, but the same person can react differently from one year to the next. I never used to have a problem when I brushed up against my Ricordea. Now I end up with welts like JokerGirl's picture.

I'll keep that in mind! Ricordeas are some of my favorite coral. Would be a shame if they acted like that towards me LOL.

So far, I've had reactions to hairy mushrooms, my BTAs, and more recently my hammer. Be careful as you may continue to become more sensitive with repeated exposure, as is the case with most allergic reactions.

i do servicing and i have two tanks which have very large hammer corals. when i say large i mean huge! about 3 or 4 feet across. these two tanks are the only ones i get stung in. they leave me with huge blisters on my forearms and hands. i wish the gloves for fish tank maintenance weren't so bulky and desensitizing.

WOW I've handled many torches, hammers, frogspawns, etc. doesnt do a thing to me, I wonder what causes the reaction to be so intense in some people? ANyone know?

Back