SCWD mods?

I wonder what is the largest that someone has enlarged the piping on a SCWD to... I suppose the pipes could always be chopped and replaced with PVC fittings, since PVC glue is very strong and plenty for bonding PVC to the ABS body of a SCWD. At least, I think that the body is ABS.

After reading this thread, I was on the same wavelength as Hahnmeister. But the question in my mind is whether that will overcome some or most of the loss of flow through the scwd, as well as make it easier to connect pvc fittings to?

well I have drilled out the inlets to get more flow from mine and it did do a world of difference in adding more flow

Mr Bojangles, what did you drill yours out with? I was thinnking of just using a regular twist drill bit with a stop-collar. From the cross-section pic of the scwd it seems there's a fair amount of space in there, before you'd hit the "door". My only reservation in drilling out the id of the outlets is my feeling that you'd lose some structural integrity. In other words you could crack it by over torquing a hose clamp, or just an awkward twist on the whole assembly?

From the other site, it looks like a screwdriver is used to keep the door away from the outlet while drilling, and the drilling is done with a ceramic spade bit.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6546843#post6546843 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralnut99
Mr Bojangles, what did you drill yours out with? I was thinnking of just using a regular twist drill bit with a stop-collar. From the cross-section pic of the scwd it seems there's a fair amount of space in there, before you'd hit the "door". My only reservation in drilling out the id of the outlets is my feeling that you'd lose some structural integrity. In other words you could crack it by over torquing a hose clamp, or just an awkward twist on the whole assembly?

correct! I just used a redular twist bit, I used my drill press, but you can use a drill with a steady hand. Just make sure you dont go to far and get out all the shavings when you are done. As for the integrity. its been fine, I clamp the hell out of my clamps and its been fine for about a year now

From reading the linked thread, it looks like his SCWD only operates at 600 GPH or less. I don't see how this could possibly be an improvement?

Has anyone else encountered this when doing these mods?

Yes, but he said that it was because he reduced the ID of the SCWD with the cleanout adapter he used, and that using a 1.5" FPT - SLIP fitting would avoid that.

Back