Sea Slug Reef Safe??

huskysglare1

is this guy reef safe?

nm_seaslug11_080519_ssh.jpg

usually, no. Nudibranchs feed mostly on bryozoan, and cnidarians. More often than not they are highly specialized feeders that prey on a single species; many nudibranch diets are unknown. You might be thinking of sea hares. they eat algae like there's no tomorrow.

If you really want a nudi in your tank, look into the lettuce nudi's. They also eat algae like mad and are normally a pretty leafy-green color. Kinda looks like a caesar salad crawling around in your tank.

Just be sure to feed it some green stuffs if your tank is low on algae.

This is Hypselodoris apolegma, but it's nearly identical to H. bullocki which is more common in the hobby. Like all nudibranchs they are predators and like most dorid nudibranchs they feed on sponges. There is no way to provide them with the proper species of sponge on a consistent basis.

thers alot of pretty nudis out there can any be kept for a while
are there no known combinations of nudi and sponge
should tell that guy in the advanced sponge problems to get a nudi:)

Well almost any nudibranch can be kept for a while... but then they starve. The only dorid (which are the colorful ones like this) that seems to do well is Dendrodoris nigra, which is just plain black. It's an uncommon hitchhiker and seems to do well on whatever sponges it finds in the tank.

Beyond that, several aeolids seem to do well in captivity whether we want them to or not. These are all predators of cnidarians and include pests like the zoa-eating nudis and monti-eating nudis as well as desirable slugs like Aeolidiella (aka "Berghia").

Then there's the tritoniids and arminids that feed on cnidarians as well.

The issue isn't that we don't know what any of these animals eat (which is a problem for the vast majority of them), but that even if you know what they eat, you usually can't get it. Identifying sponges is extremely difficult, even for experts. There's no way you can just go to the LFS and look around for a while and pick out the sponge you need. Similarly, collectors in the third world don't even have a clue how to identify sponges or pick out specific ones even if wholesalers asked them to.

I've kept Diaulula greeleyi, but I was only able to do so because it's a local species and the sponge it feeds on is usually abundant and distinctive enough that I can collect it myself as I need it.

Back