Seahorse fry

VWD

Smelly fish
Good morning all.

I figured I would share a video of my seahorse fry. I have kept seahorses since my early days of reef keeping and had them in my first reef. They always amaze me .
I’m no expert when it comes to them and in early 2000’s I started raising H reidi , they where a lot of work. I was younger then and did mine all the work. So last year I decided to start breeding erectus. Easier then the reidi. The first back was from a young male and where supper small. I lost them to bacteria. These in the video were larger and did much better. I raise then in my bowl set up for approx 1 week then move to 20 gallon long tank for a few weeks. Then I moved them in to a set up made with muck tubs and a sump with live rock. The tubs stsy super clean and easy to do water changes. These are nearing five weeks. I did lose a few early on but have over fifty now With a younger batch of about 80 to a hundred in the 20 long ready to move to a tub. Like I said I’m no expert and know at any point something can happen and I could lose them. Hopefully not .

You say you're "no expert," but I haven't actually met anyone who has successfully bred them in captivity, so wow, and congratulations.

You say you're "no expert," but I haven't actually met anyone who has successfully bred them in captivity, so wow, and congratulations.
Having them breed is easy. They do all the time. It’s raising the fry where the work comes in.
I have no many fry now I won’t be able to raise any other batches for awhile. It doesn’t allow fir vacations or trips when dealing with fry.

That’s awesome. Some good colors in there too

Care to share what kind of feeding regimen you have them on?

The feeding while in the blue much tubs are enriched bbs. But before feeding them the shrimp I feed chopped mysis and mini mysis to ween them into frozen. I feed 3 to 4 times a day from the start. I try to have live food available constantly for the first 8 weeks and then now I filter the bbs out and give them periods of time without food. Then feed the frozen. Yes the colors are nice.

Awesome! Thanks for the info! Are you ever thinking of selling any?

Reactions: VWD
6E8AD5BD-BDFE-4556-84AA-B115241F68A5.jpeg
7BC110BF-F092-4FF2-B752-79549E91C302.jpeg
9747CD2E-56B7-468B-B453-161379BF2452.jpeg

Back