Seahorses with canister filter setup

I have a seahorse tank for the past two years. I do not have any mechanical filtration on it such as skimmer, hob filter, nothing. All I have is 20 lbs of live sand, 20 lbs of live rocks, and a CPR HOB refugium with DSB and Macroalgae. My readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. On top of that, my DT is always full of Pods. I used to once a month, I would just blow the detritus from the sand bed with a small powerhead and then I put on a cheap hob filter from walmart for 12-24 hours to remove all the detritus then remove it. Now, I have no sign of detritus at all on the sand bed since my tank is now mature with bristle worms and nassarius nail doing the cleaning. All I do now is to do a water change once every two weeks. Have my seahorses for two years and still going strong.

I used to once a month, I would just blow the detritus from the sand bed with a small powerhead and then I put on a cheap hob filter from walmart for 12-24 hours to remove all the detritus then remove it. Now, I have no sign of detritus at all on the sand bed since my tank is now mature with bristle worms and nassarius nail doing the cleaning. All I do now is to do a water change once every two weeks. Have my seahorses for two years and still going strong.
If you ever get your erectus on to eating frozen foods, you will find a big difference because frozen food can settle where you can find it, and the seahorses only eat the pieces they deem to be PERFECT, in their eyes at least.

absolutly stunning tank,i use a fluvel 306 using a fluvel filter pack but with live rock in bottom chamber on one tank and a hob on another and i am about to setup a tank with sump and trickle filter ,i find the fluvel sometimes difficult to clean out the hob gets cleaned every other day which takes a couple of minutes.what you have already seems to be doing a good job is there no way it can be adapted so you could use a chiller with it or run another small filter alongside to run the chiller?

Back