Sequence Tiger Shark as Closed Loop Pump?

superedge88

I have a 220 gallon that currently has a closed loop that is ran by a sequence hammerhead pump. Closed loop is 2" PVC all around, eleven 3/4" locline nozzles, hammer head sits on the floor. I am a little disappointed by the amount of flow, I calculate about 400 GPH at each nozzle. I am looking at the Sequence pressure rated pumps, saw the tiger shark, it has a shut off height of 84 feet, the hammer head has a shut off of 22 feet I believe. I am wondering if you think that I am going to blow this closed loop apart with the tiger shark, or if this will be one SWEET closed loop pump option.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a CL should have no head pressure so moving to a higher pressure pump won't get you any more flow..

The Tiger Shark really has 500gph less flow at 0 head.

I'd be tempted to add a 2nd Hammerhead and run them as 2 CL's with 6 returns each or run them in parallel on the same manifold.

If 12,000 gph (54x turnover) is to much you could always run 2 barracuda's for 9000gph (40x turnover)

OR.. step up to the Sequence Power Series pumps..
http://www.mdminc.com/Sequence_Power_Series.htm

The 9000PWR77 runs 9000gph but requires 220v power.

I see what you are saying, I guess that I would proabably get the same amount of flow with the tiger shark since the tiger shark would handle the almost 6 feet of height and the 90 degree to the closed loop better than the hammerhead, but the difference would probably be minimal.

The only way that the closed loop tiger shark would give you significantly better flow than the hammerhead, is to use eductors. Otherwise all that extra pressure is just wasted and won't gain you anything except a bigger electric bill.

A tiger shark can drive about 9 penductors at rated pressure (23ft). For a total flow of about 19000 gph. This will cost you about 1100watts. So that's roughly 17 gph/watt.

A manta ray can drive about 8 penductors at rated pressure. Total flow about 17000gph. Costs about 800watts. That's 21 gph/watt.

Three hammerheads would be about 16500gph at power cost about 1100 watts. So that's 15 gph/watt.

So a manta-ray on driving penductors is actually fairly power efficient. And in fact, unless you have very high head pressure, you would almost always do better with a manta-ray than a tiger-shark.

Gives you roughly 75x turnover in your 220 which is kinda overkill. If I ever get a new house with an inwall and sump room, maybe I'll do a 350 with this type of closed loop.

BTW. I'm not advocating this, just trying to lay it out there. This is all based on spec sheets not on actual usage experience.

Back