setting up a new tank and want to do it right !!

skinz78

In Memoriam
I haven't set up a new tank in a while and I know thechnology has changed alot recently in the hobby. So I need lots of advice.

The tank is 4' long and I think 18" wide by 20" tall but not 100% sure on the w and h.

So I am setting up my 75g reef tank that will be mostly clam dominated. So far I have the All Glass Aquariums tank, a tek 6 bulb T5 fixture, carbon filter and phosban 150 reactor. I just ordered my RO/DI from melev so it should be on it's way shortly.

I am having a 29g refugium / sump built that I will use a overflow box to feed it with.

I need suggestions on the following items what to use and also where to buy:

overflow box + size suggestions

return pump, quiet and cool running are major factors to me.

heater

skimmer, I like hang on's for this. I have used the aqua c remora pro with the mag 5 pump and have had good results in the past. but have heard very mixed results on them.

I wish to put a pump inside the tank with plumbing run throughout the rockwork for flow. Once again quiet and cool running a must and I also am open to gph recommendations.

digital thermomoter

sand, I am thinking crushed coral due to its releasing calcium. It's not as appealing as sand but hey it usually gets covered in coraline in a short time anyhow. I have used it in the past and have been able to have calcium levels over 500ppm without adding anything. I have alot of clams so calcium is a must, I may be all wet on my theory on the crushed coral what is your opinions?

Also bulb configuration for the t5 fixture.

fans

I was also thinking of using two koralia #2's in the tank for more circulation?

As I stated above I am looking for suggestions of where the best places to buy these items are too.

thanks,
Chris

IMO overflow boxes will eventually be trouble, it would be better to have your tank drilled (if not by yourself, a local glass shop or another local reefer may do it for you).

As far as I know, Ebo Jager heaters, now made by Eheim, are considered some of the most reliable. I picked one up and have been pleased with it, but I have also had good experiences with a Visi-Therm Stealth heater. A tank full of clams is a substantial investment, so it may be worth it to pick up a temperature controller as a bit of insurance against heater malfunction.

If you like the Remora, the in-sump version of that is the Urchin. Check into that and see if you like it, I've heard very good things. I have an AquaC EV-150 myself and am very pleased with it.

Crushed coral tends to trap and hold detritus, causing phosphates and nitrates to get a bit high. Most recommend using Aragonite sand, which I understand will also release calcium back into the system over time. It comes in various grain sizes, from sugar sized on up. Again, I've been very pleased with my sugar sized aragonite, but your mileage may vary. If you've used crushed coral in the past with good success, you may have no problems with it.

Hope I've been helpful.

I am leery about drilling the tank though?

I just got a pm highly recommending the stealth heater's

Now correct me if I am wrong but I have heard in the past that they sell the arragonite sand at Home Depot for cheap?

The sand at home depot is not aragonite, and I don't know that they still sell it. It is/was silica based rather than calcium, so while it's safe for the aquarium it doesn't have all of the benefits of aragonite.

I bought a Reef Ready tank, so I didn't have to worry about drilling it myself, but there is probably a reefer or two in your area that have drilled several tanks over the years, or at least a glass shop that would do it for you.
Overflow boxes can lose siphon, causing your tank to overflow.

IMO overflow boxes are not a problem as long as you perform regular maintenance. I wouldn't use the CPR variety that depend on an aqualifter to maintain the siphon. I've used a U-Tube Lifereef overflow box for several years and have never had any problems with it. The only possible way for it to overflow is if you literally yanked out the tube while your return was on. I have to reprime about once a month because it does develop a small air bubble at the top, but nothing that would make it suddenly lose siphon and overflow.

Hmm good to know, it would be very bad if my tank overflowed. I have custom made figured maple hardwood floors and it's pretty irrepaceable.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12866369#post12866369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bph0013
IMO overflow boxes are not a problem as long as you perform regular maintenance. I wouldn't use the CPR variety that depend on an aqualifter to maintain the siphon. I've used a U-Tube Lifereef overflow box for several years and have never had any problems with it. The only possible way for it to overflow is if you literally yanked out the tube while your return was on. I have to reprime about once a month because it does develop a small air bubble at the top, but nothing that would make it suddenly lose siphon and overflow.

Have you done a blackout test?

check out the new C&C HOT skimmer which will definitely give the deltec MCE600 a run for its money, ATB is also coming out with a hang on which will be awesome as well

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12868885#post12868885 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Musho3210
Have you done a blackout test?

Yes sir, it's actually happened a few times and I've had no problems.

return pump, quiet and cool running are major factors to me.

heater
For the pump i would suggest a Posiden PS2 Pump
I can not hear it at all when it's running the first time i plugged it in i had to put my hand on it to make sure it was running, but it is water cooled, and is said to raise tank temp a bit but i have found no difference.

And for heaters i particularly like Ebo Jagger heaters just because they are very high quality and i have never heard on on screwing up.

Back