Setting up QT

katestack

On my previous set up I never had a Quarantine process. With my new set up I am going to have a QT but it’s all new to me. I do not want to keep the QT set up all the time so I was planning on keeping a small sponge filter running in my sump all the time and then transferring it to the QT tank to seed it when I need it. The part that I don’t understand is what I do with the sponge filter after the quarantine process? I want to keep it in the sump so it’s ready for the next time I need QT but I don’t want to risk infecting DT right? Is there a way to sterilize it before placing back in sump?

I wouldn't put the sponge back in the DT, especially if you used medications in QT which will leach out of the sponge.

You can just leave the QT setup for the next batch of fish, or break everything down + sterilize with bleach.

On my previous set up I never had a Quarantine process. With my new set up I am going to have a QT but it’s all new to me. I do not want to keep the QT set up all the time so I was planning on keeping a small sponge filter running in my sump all the time and then transferring it to the QT tank to seed it when I need it. The part that I don’t understand is what I do with the sponge filter after the quarantine process? I want to keep it in the sump so it’s ready for the next time I need QT but I don’t want to risk infecting DT right? Is there a way to sterilize it before placing back in sump?
Sponge filters are inexpensive. I just buy a new one after it use, and throw the old one out.

Back