Setting up very large tank

Teen Aquarist

I am either going to buy a new 100 gallon wide tank a used 150 gallon or a used 180 they are all about the same price, but the 180 has a lot of scratches. I am going to some kind of small stingray in there so it will have some open sand bed for it to swim about on. How much LR can I add and still have room for the ray? What are some really cool larger fish that can go with smaller fish and coral? I Have had a 24 nano for 4 years so I only realy know about the small fish lol. As the showcase fish in the tank I was going to put in one Imperator Angelfish would this be ok with the ray, coral and smaller fish. Thank you very much.

Do not put the Emperor with a stingray, Make sure you do a lot of research on stingrays, so you can provide the best home for them. About the rock, I would do the least amount as possible for maximum sand bed area. Hope that helps

I have done about a years worth of research on small stingrays and catsharks. I was planning on having the front of the tank open and the back 12 inches or so full Of live rock as the cortez stingray is only 9 inches wide and 12 inches long. Is there any other large showcase fish that can go in withh a ray and be coral safe?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14147414#post14147414 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Teen Aquarist
Is there any other large showcase fish that can go in withh a ray and be coral safe?
A shark?

im new as hell to saltwater, still letting my 20g cycle. That said, ive done alot of reading on keeping sharks/rays as id like to get into horn sharks in a few years.. The big angels tend to be bad about picking at the rays eyes and tail.

I dont think there are any sharks that could be comfortable in a 180. The coral cats top out at 2-2.5' long and that seems to big for a 180.

I'd think a volitan lion or any other big but docile fish would make a good tank mate though.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14147748#post14147748 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hotrodolds
im new as hell to saltwater, still letting my 20g cycle. That said, ive done alot of reading on keeping sharks/rays as id like to get into horn sharks in a few years.. The big angels tend to be bad about picking at the rays eyes and tail.

I dont think there are any sharks that could be comfortable in a 180. The coral cats top out at 2-2.5' long and that seems to big for a 180.

I'd think a volitan lion or any other big but docile fish would make a good tank mate though.

Yup your right about there are no sharks that can go in a 180 or smaller even though stores are trying to sell me nurse sharks "perfect size" tisk tisk

lol yeah, perfect size for a month or two.

sounds like a cool idea, i'd be careful about taking away to much of the footprint with 12" strip of basically useless (to the ray anyway) rockwork.

With that much rock though a grouper or eel might be a cool tankmate as well.

I would not line the whole back with rock. Maybe a small pile at one or both ends, but don't just leave a strip of sand in the front.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14147922#post14147922 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
I would not line the whole back with rock. Maybe a small pile at one or both ends, but don't just leave a strip of sand in the front.

I agree with this. You might consider two pillars, both set in about 12" from each side as well as 10-12" in from the back. That would give alot of swimming room both front and back as well. Take any extra rock you have left and place it down in the sump for added filtration since larger fish have larger waste.

You could build your reef in a couple pinnacles. One on each side with swimming room all the way around them.

That would give you a good amount of reef surface for your coral and still plenty of swim room.

100-180 is not a very large tank and won't suffice for what you want to accomplish. If you must do it pick up a large (300 gallon +) stock tank. Make sure to plan out your costs as it is not going to be cheap in the long run.

Hello,

well,

180 is not a very large tank and won't suffice for what you want to accomplish
- I second that...

the cortez stingray is listed as to grow up to 16 inches in lenght.
Think now about the floorsize of your tank - even without any obstruction by any rocks....

it is even to small for larger fish, regardless be it bigger getting tangs (such as Paracanthurus hepatus, Zebrasoma veliferum or dejardinii, Nasos and some Acanthurus) or any kind of large angelfish.

I would reconsider your stock for the wellbeeing of the fish..

regards

Markus

I agree that sharks and rays should be in a mininmum of 300g. With that said, congrats on an awesome tank! The reef possibilities are great for that size!!!

Every few months this guy wants to get an octopus, a cat shark, a cortez ray, or something that gets too big for the tank he has. He asks opinions then argues about the advice given because his dad had a shark once.

If you want to get the most room for a ray( I think 180 is too small), you could put a big sump on the tank and fill it with alot of rock, that way you still have plenty of room and all the filtration you need.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14154130#post14154130 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishysteve
Every few months this guy wants to get an octopus, a cat shark, a cortez ray, or something that gets too big for the tank he has. He asks opinions then argues about the advice given because his dad had a shark once.

And I have learned my lesson lol If the tank is too small I will not put a rays/shark into it.

Back