shipping large SPS

acroreef123

In Memoriam
I am planning on shipping a very large(8"+) acro, is it acceptable to ship it half submerged to save on shipping or is there some other cost effective way to save on shipping?

thanks, acroreef123

How long would it be in transit. I have shipped corals with the dry method. cover entire coral in 2or 3 layers of papertowel wet them with tank water and place in the bag with lot's of air try to place it so it will not be able to move around in the box. It actualy works really well.

I tried shipping a 12" acro colony one time. The package ended up weighing like 70lbs or so. Shipping was like $160. Airbourne Express dropped the box or something and the coral died. Airbourne denied my claim (several times) and I immediately refunded the purchaser all his money. So, in the end, I was out a large, beautiful coral colony.

I wouldn't recommend shipping the colony unless you are ready to just toss the whole colony. Because if it doesn't make it, you WILL NOT be reimbursed any money. I also paid extra for full insurance on it and the claim was still denied!!!

Dennis

Best bet is to ship it via delta cargo, or the like. Much less transit time, and much cheaper for the wieght of all the water you are going to need...

Matt

Chris over at ReeferMadness ships large colonies. Check in with him about his methods. I got a 6"x 6" colony last year from him and it came in perfect. It died within a few weeks :(, wild, but I salvaged frags and still have a colony growing from it, albeit much smaller.

i've shipped large stuff before..but i always charge the buyer the shipping cost.. I don't skimp.. if they don't want to pay I won't ship it to them.. I've rather have a living coral and not sell it then deal with the hassle of somebody complaing about a DOA. I've found 90% of the time the people who are two cheap to pay to ship things right..and the ones that are going to complain the most.. so it's really just a good sign to walk away from the deal.. much less headache.

So to answer your question, i would try shipping it have submereged.. i've had stuff come in and go out be shipped total fine with heat packs, in water ect.. and not make it.. I wouldn't take a chanec with doing it on the cheap.

I believe you are shipping that coral to me, and since I am paying for the shipping, please ship submerged. Also, I am wondering when to expect this coral, since you aren't accepting PMs and haven't responded in the last couple days. Please advise?????

Back