Shipping stomatopods

I drop them onto a paper towel and let them flop around until they settle down - usually just a few seconds. They usually end up on their back. I then push the bottle opening over their head. Typically the animal crawls in. To get them out, I shake them or simply place the open bottle in container and let them come out on their own.

Roy

Ah, I see. That sounds like it would be a lot easier than what I was picturing... Because I was picturing someone just picking a mantis up by the tail end and trying to stick it in a bottle.
That may be something to add to the original post, the way to put them in the bottle.

Great info found here!

I have a very concrete question:

I will be receiving a G. Smithii from the UK (I live in Portugal) in a couple of weeks. The package will be posted before noon and arrive around noon the next day. That's 24h, which sounds reasonable if well packed.

The thing is...between the time I get the package until the time I can actually start the acclimatization process at my house, another 8 hours or so will pass.

Is there *anything* I can do in the meantime to enhance his chances of survival?

Thank you very much!

It should be alright if the bag is packed with oxygen. Two days is quite doable. If not, open the bag or container to exchange some are..Also to what you can to get the temperature to around 22-24 C.

Roy

Back