should i upgrade my sunpod?

everl0ng

i only have a green favia, pulsing xenia, mushrooms, and some GSP. i was wondering should i upgrade my current 150w sunpod to the 250w? would it be of benefit? i plan on only a frogspawn and maybe a hammer or something along those lines for hard corals, and maybe a brain or such. i would like to have some actinics, but with my sunpod i have no i don't think supplemental actinics would fit. would it be a bad idea to upgrade?

IMO I think you have more than enough light for anything at all you want to grow. Everything would grow wonderfully under 150w. What color is your bulb? A 20k bulb would give you a great mix of blue and white.

well the electricty usage would be a down side. Unless you want to keep SPS with better growth rates, then I wound not upgrade. I agree with 2Ocean, the 20k will do well if you want an actinic/MH look. Finally, if you want that nightime blue look for a hour or two, just add a dozen of LED lunar lights. It does better than my old actinic retro and was cheaper.

i have no idea what bulb. it is the one that came with the sunpod, as i have only had it for close to a month. my sunpod does have 6 white/6 blue LEDs and i absolutely LOVE the blue for night. it actually makes my corals glow rather brightly under them. i have my MH on from 12 pm - 9 pm, and then my white and blue LEDs on from 9 pm - 9:30 pm, and my blue stay on for the rest of the night. it's remarkably stuning to see how much life is out during the night under the blue LEDs. thank you so much for your help! i will just stay with the 150w and change the bulb when i get my taxes back.

Everlong i have the same sunpod you do mine has a 14k bulb to. My nano is for mostly SPS corals i may change the bulb to a 20k. But for now The lighting seems to be good.

Does the sunpod have 3 seperate controlls for each of the lights or are the 6 white/6 blue LEDs controlled by 1 switch?

I have the 150w Sunpod on my 20H and I have softies, LPS, SPS and a clam. I'm even looing to get a crocea. 250w is too much. 150 is more than enough. Save your money for test kits and some nice SPS

IMO, 150W is fine. I'm hard pressed to think of anything you couldn't take care of under it. 250W will be a great heat source, but I really can't see any other realistic gains from it, other than your fish cooperating when you're applying waterproof Hawaiian Tropic.

Back