Show me Your Fancy STANDS!!!

I posted my unfinished stand here on like page 26... Well I finally finished it and got it set up at the wifes rental... 2 weeks before I go to Iraq, ohhh well.
Here it is:

full frontal shot

Left side shot

false drawers

front door hardware

Full shot with lights on... You can see I used the simple light hanger that was featured a month or so ago in reefkeeping magazine

I say this as a professional cabinet maker who specialized in wood finishing, but that is a GREAT job.

Your finish is very smooth looking, not chunky and drippy like a lot of DIY'ers.

I would have personally gone with a more satin look, I'm not a fan of glossier finishes... but that's a matter of choice.

Great work!

IMG00045-20090621-1853.jpg~original

Heres mine. Sorry it's a crappy picture. But the center between the doors is fake so I could have more access to the undertank.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my 8 gallon quarantine tank...lol. Well that's what I told her...

We took an antique dresser, removed the bottom two drawers and added a wine rack. Then we removed the top and stripped and refinished it. Then we added a solid granite top. The top alone weighs a freaking ton. I had it cut in the states than shipped it over in our house hold goods when we moved to Japan. I didn't even get to test fit it. Thank god I actually measured something correct for a change...
Somebody posted awhile back about using granite top all I did was put the tank on a thin rubber mat... Its lasted through 4 earthquakes kind of strange to see water flying out the sides of your tank.

a>

a>

a>

A friend of mine has a Wenge stand on his tank. It's a rather more modern look design he's got than my stand however the colour of Wenge wood loos much better on a modern stand IMHO. Will be going for one on my next tank.

His tank sits on a metal stand like mine but it's covered with Wenge. Canopy is Massif Wenge. Looks really nice don't have any pic to post though.

Got to be Careful with Wenge, so I hear, I have never worked w/it. I believe it is also called "death wood". The Saw Dust/ Sanding Dust is TOXIC!!! I knew a few Luthiers who used it. massive respirators and Evac-systems were required to prevent inhalation.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15578839#post15578839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michael_84
Got to be Careful with Wenge, so I hear, I have never worked w/it. I believe it is also called "death wood". The Saw Dust/ Sanding Dust is TOXIC!!! I knew a few Luthiers who used it. massive respirators and Evac-systems were required to prevent inhalation.
You're right I worked with a piece on the lathe and had an allergic reaction. But I have buddy that can work with it all day.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15534422#post15534422 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ChknWing
I posted my unfinished stand here on like page 26... Well I finally finished it and got it set up at the wifes rental... 2 weeks before I go to Iraq, ohhh well.
Here it is:

full frontal shot

Left side shot

false drawers

front door hardware

Full shot with lights on... You can see I used the simple light hanger that was featured a month or so ago in reefkeeping magazine

Nice Tank!! Your doors appear to be removable, how did you do that?

Back