Shred5 Terrestrial Lagoon and Fish Room

your pictures really are phenomenal, I need a better camera :D lol

Its just my phone and I use filters from Orphek. Phone is older too I should get a new one.

Honestly I am terrible. I throw away 90 percent because they are so bad. I take like 10 pictures of the corals to get 1. I have it down a little on my lagoon now because I have taken so many.

What is funny is I just won a photo contest for one of my pictures that I was super lucky on and got a great picture.

I have another tank that I have tried and tried to get good pictures and I can not. I think it is the lighting and my phone even with filters can not adjust.

But thank you.

I have to take my pictures with the phone directly against the glass for the color to be anywhere close to what I see with my eyes

Its just my phone and I use filters from Orphek. Phone is older too I should get a new one.

Honestly I am terrible. I throw away 90 percent because they are so bad. I take like 10 pictures of the corals to get 1. I have it down a little on my lagoon now because I have taken so many.

What is funny is I just won a photo contest for one of my pictures that I was super lucky on and got a great picture.

I have another tank that I have tried and tried to get good pictures and I can not. I think it is the lighting and my phone even with filters can not adjust.

But thank you.

I have to take my pictures with the phone directly against the glass for the color to be anywhere close to what I see with my eyes

I honestly loved the photos I took with my phone when I first got it, but it's 2.5yrs old now and acting up. When I look at the point and shoot photos my wife gets on her iphone it makes me rethink my lifetime of android allegiance. with enough effort, the external lenses I bought, and tinkering with the pro settings I can get OK photos at times but I sorta think there is something off in the updates over the last 2 years that has taken my camera quality down a notch... it's literally the thing I look at the most when I buy a new phone every 2-3 years lol

I honestly loved the photos I took with my phone when I first got it, but it's 2.5yrs old now and acting up. When I look at the point and shoot photos my wife gets on her iphone it makes me rethink my lifetime of android allegiance. with enough effort, the external lenses I bought, and tinkering with the pro settings I can get OK photos at times but I sorta think there is something off in the updates over the last 2 years that has taken my camera quality down a notch... it's literally the thing I look at the most when I buy a new phone every 2-3 years lol

I am on Android Samsung phone. Phone is 4 years old. It has been so good I do not want to get rid of it.
I have a Samsung tablet that is somewhat new and hate it. Way to slow.
Every time I upgrade it never feels like much of a upgrade.

Phones have got to expensive too.

I do IT work at our office and we have some I-phones at work and I hate them.
We had some light manufacturer come in a couple weeks ago and wanted us to connect to his equipment. Two of us with android were into it before he even finished telling us how to connect while Apple users were having issues. Every time I have to set up email for their new I-phones it is a pain. I just hate using them. There is just no consistency. I mean android has the 3 buttons and they work. Each apple every app is different. I just cant get used to them. Seems like everything is more steps. But hey to each his own and they both make calls so and just my opinion.

Last edited:
Phones have got to expensive too.

do IT work at our office and we have some I-phones at work and I hate them.

Honestly I am the same way. I hate my wife's iphone. the operability is a pain in the butt, it feels like a childs play thing with the weird giant logos and it's not organized enough for my OCD. BUT her camera is always better than mine. That said, I've been through nearly every manufacturer in the android world. This phone is a oneplus, it did a couple updates in the past 6 months and developed what I call racing stripes... purple and green lines right down the middle of the screen. Only way to fix it is to send it back for a replacement they say.

Maybe I'll get the Samsung next and give android one more try.... a lifetime of android means I have a lot of pictures, email etc and I honestly don't want to move my life over to the apple world...

Well spent a little time working on the lagoon lighting system:

From this:

20240420_115045.jpg

to this:
20240421_135619.jpg

The 20 gallon tall tank in the back ground is going away and was just sitting there by the mangroves..
It will be a ATO reservoir for the Lagoon.
That also means I am starting the land based elements of this reef in the back.
You can see my grow light in the back over the mangroves. This is being replaced with smaller ones in between the rafters so they are not seen.

20240421_135548.jpg

A pic of the new 5.8 gallon coral quarantine and frag tank:

20240421_140040.jpg

Ok I am just showing these pictures of my macro algae/sea grass aquarium. First off the corals on the square disks are just there for the moment and will not be on those disks and are moving to the lagoon.

This is 4 tanks combined into one my frag tank. I tore down my pipefish tank, two macro algae tanks and a frag tank.
It is not aquascaped yet at all. Everything was just put in there when the water was super cloudy. Some of the stuff just found a spot after drifting around. Some are against the front glass. What is amazing to me is it does not look to bad for me not doing anything to it.

I did loose a few sea grasses with the move. I need to get more.

20240421_135817.jpg
20240421_135827.jpg

20240421_135833.jpg

20240421_135857.jpg
20240421_135849.jpg
20240421_140001.jpg

unless I am mistaken I think I see some absolute monster torches in there!

There is only one small torch in there. What you are seeing is my massive Magnifica anemone and maybe the frog spawn which has become massive. Honestly the frog spawn so big in such a short period of time I am not sure what to do with it. This tank everything grows too fast. Only had 4 kessils on the tank and not even at full. Now with 6 Kessils maybe growth will slow :p

I took a few pictures of the lagoon but they looked bad. I need to take some more.

I think it looks great.

Thank you.

Fantastic job on the lighting David.
Thank you

Looks fantastic!

Thank you

Looks very natural, save the sharp corners on the tiles
The corals are coming off the tiles and going in the lagoon on the left side. They will not be in this macro aquarium at all.
They were in that tank originally as it was going to be a grow out tank. Soft corals are staying in this tank.
Just too many projects right now especially with gardening coming up.

I forget people do not follow my build on another site which is my main thread on this tank as of now.

Any how I am downsizing.

Several reasons.
We just had a 40 percent increase in water costs and it is going up 20 percent each year for the next 3 years.
Decreasing the amount of tanks also decreases the amount of dehumidification I need.
Prices of fish are astronomical and it was getting hard to replace them all.
I lost 6 or 7 chromis over the last year or so do to old age. Been with me for a very long time.
I had a cucumber somehow squeeze into a overflow and nuked all my fish in another system. I was able to get one out and save it. thankfully not allot of fish in that system.
I have lost a few other fish who knows why, old age too. May sound like allot of fish but I have allot of aquarium's or had. I also have not bought any fish in maybe 2 years other than pipefish.
I am saving for retirement now and just want to save a little more money.
It was just getting to expensive to maintain this amount of tanks.

The pipefish tank that was taken down is becoming a planted fresh water tank. The pipefish are alive and well and now in the combined macro algae aquarium.
I will be adding more pipefish to the macro tank.

Last edited:
Back