Siemens PLC Controller completed

C'mon Gresh, let's see what's happening.

I like this thread, it doesn't get buried in a day.

Got my 20 float switches, TC wire, and new Dell computer. I'm just waiting on the Din rail, relays, and some other assorted stuff.

I'm moving it in to a larger box to accomadate the relays.

After reviewing in the in's and out's, it looks like I may need to have some more programming done for some new features I added (controll of the linear actuators, skimmerair input kill, etc).

I'm having my float switch holders being machined as we speak :D

Last edited:
OK, got most my stuff lined up to get this puppy rolling...

IMG_3761.jpg

Got the touch panel put into a new enclosure, 30 relays, and DIN rail.

IMG_3778.jpg

It'll all fit nicely into it's new home :D PLus room for termianl blocks to boot...

IMG_3769.jpg

Gotta love my new relays. They have a force on switch and indictor lights, plus a filter :D

Where did you source the relays? Cost?

I see you decided to avoid the SSRs :)

You need a bigger box to fit wire duct in there and make it look cleaner (and bigger!). I saw some 4'x6' nema 4 boxes on ebay the other day. Maybe you could squeeze the stuff into one of them :D

Nice job gresh... I am etching boards for my controller today (though I found a few small errors and may need to etch again (I hate patching with jumber wires).

Wanna split a box of wire duct from eBay?

I am also trying to source #18 #22 #26 stranded MTW wire in rainbows of colors and small quantities. I shudder to think of the cost of a 250' put up of each color. I also don't like THHN as it is just to darn stiff. Any ideas anybody?

I've used mouser.com and jameco.com for some of my parts sourcing, but not wire. We sell wire where I work, but nothing that small unfortunately. Get me some manufacturer part number and stuff that you're after. My sister works for a cable harness manufacturer and I also have some other contact that may be able to help.

Eric

Thanks Eric.. when I get home this afternoon I will gather up what I can. You would think that companies would sell grab bags of wire cut offs. Most of the stuff I need is 24" or less in length.

I use mouser and jameco sometimes as well. Surpluss sales of nebraska and allelectronics are great too. Newark.com has great prices lately. Digikey is expensive but has some oddball stuff.

Here is a link to the best serach engine I have found

http://www.findchips.com/

Put a part number in and it will tell you who has it!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7515067#post7515067 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
Where did you source the relays? Cost?

I see you decided to avoid the SSRs :)

You need a bigger box to fit wire duct in there and make it look cleaner (and bigger!). I saw some 4'x6' nema 4 boxes on ebay the other day. Maybe you could squeeze the stuff into one of them :D

Nice job gresh... I am etching boards for my controller today (though I found a few small errors and may need to etch again (I hate patching with jumber wires).

Wanna split a box of wire duct from eBay?

Yah, since I needed some Icecubes, I just went with all Icecubes for a cleaner look :D

Hmm, bigger :D

Got a link to the wire duct, I may be interested :D

The relays I got from automationdirect.com (IIRC, I'll check later for sure) for about $10 w/ base and filter. Bight be more like $11, but they were pretty cheap from this place.

What type of wire should I run for my floatswitches? I have 2 pair 24awg solid core w/ sheilding right now. Will that be fine?

I may be down on splitting wire as well, lets take this to email :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7515141#post7515141 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
Thanks Eric.. when I get home this afternoon I will gather up what I can. You would think that companies would sell grab bags of wire cut offs. Most of the stuff I need is 24" or less in length.

I use mouser and jameco sometimes as well. Surpluss sales of nebraska and allelectronics are great too. Newark.com has great prices lately. Digikey is expensive but has some oddball stuff.

Here is a link to the best serach engine I have found

http://www.findchips.com/

Put a part number in and it will tell you who has it!

Jameco is a local supply house for me :D Gotta love will call :lol:

I use all the others mentioned above as well :D

I like those relays except for one thing: you cannot look inside to inspect the contacts for burning, etc. They are handy for troubleshooting, a quick test, etc.
I have used automation direct a few times and they are consistently the cheapest. I have yet to be disappointed in any of their products, too. I like the relay bases and the matching plug-in MOVs (or diodes).
Make sure the relay is seated good in the socket. I had one running a halide (I know, it should have been a lighting contactor:rolleyes: ) that one of the relay pins started to heat up from my not seating it all the way. Give them a good wiggle to get some fresh metal to metal contact.
Heckuva day you have planned, wiring it all up:D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7517918#post7517918 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by H20ENG
I like those relays except for one thing: you cannot look inside to inspect the contacts for burning, etc. They are handy for troubleshooting, a quick test, etc.
I have used automation direct a few times and they are consistently the cheapest. I have yet to be disappointed in any of their products, too. I like the relay bases and the matching plug-in MOVs (or diodes).
Make sure the relay is seated good in the socket. I had one running a halide (I know, it should have been a lighting contactor:rolleyes: ) that one of the relay pins started to heat up from my not seating it all the way. Give them a good wiggle to get some fresh metal to metal contact.
Heckuva day you have planned, wiring it all up:D
Thanks for the tips :D I did see how easy it could be for them not to be seated all the way, it's definitly something I'll keep an eye on.

For wiring it up, I figured I'd call in a few favors with people, whatchyah doing this weekend :lol: (just kidding, I have a BAR meeting to attend on sat and I work sun)

Boxes of 1" duct go on sale on ebay all the time. It's like $250 for 30 6' pieces or something... beat $650s at graybar though.

I will have to dig out my BOM that I compiled a while back.

I am fed up with the limitations of EAGLE PCB and the fact that it corrupts files at the drop of a hat and is limited to a 3" x 4" board.. I need to find a better "free" PCB package. I used PROTEL but am not goin got pay $5000 to DIY some boards :)

WIth regards to the wire, yeah we will need to talk. It may take me a few days to finish some of these jobs up and have some free time. PM me and we can take this to email (or another thread). The shielded wire should be fine for the float switches.

I plan on running #18 for my 5A relay outputs inside the panel. NEC says you can do it as long as there is suitable overcurrent protection that can not be "replaced" with a higher value. I plan on using 5A push button breakers like you would find on a power strip.

Bean

Man I work Sunday too. If you and I could get together, we'd finally get a bunch of stuff finished:)

Bean,
Automation Direct has the wire duct, too. Not sure if its competitive, though. They started carrying it right after I ordered a big box of stuff from them, then had to get the duct from mcmaster.:rolleyes:

Gresham,

I have your last piece of code for the GUI, PM when you would like to do a trade.

Its not a hostage situation. :D

Thanks,
Charles

Sounds like it though :lol:

"we've got your code, hand over the frags of the code get's it"

If I send the frags now, I'll be wiped out of any of that lineage, and that ain't gonna happen. You got to give me more time bro, that list was fricken 4 pages long and contained all named corals known to man, and some that aren't :D I've aquired a few, and have been promised some from others, but work has been keeping down from doing the actual trading :(

Gresham,

It was a wish list. 30% would be awesome, you have other stuff I'll never find in TN. Please don't try to complete the list, I did this for fun not greed.

C

No worries, no one person could complete that list :lol: Your more then right about other stuff that you won't find in TN though :D We're the great Cali coral filter out here, especially the crowd I run in :lol:

Back