Silicone: Black vs. Clear

Silicone: Black vs. Clear

• Total voters

CuzzA

Here are my thoughts, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Black:
Pros: Has a cleaner more finished look. Hides algae.
Cons: Distracts the viewer by drawing eye to the seam. Makes the tank look framed. Will show a rough edge after long term magnet cleaning.

Clear:
Pros: Doesn't stand out.
Cons: Will show algae. Not as clean/finished looking.

I personally like black silicone, I just think it's sleek looking. On an LIG tank clear silicone doesn't bother me as much as it does on a high iron glass tank, just can't stand seeing the green in the glass. Still though, I think black silicone is the way to go.

It depends on other things for me such as the stand color and hood color, as well as if it is rimless. I have a black stand and black light so, in sticking with the theme, I prefer the black silicone over the clear. However, if I had gone for a rimless look, I'd prefer the silicone to be clear.

I know this is a saltwater forum but, I will say this, an LIG tank with clear silicone looks absolutely amazing for a planted FW tank. I do agree that it depends on a few things.

LIG tank?

I'm so torn on which way to go. It's really frustrating because this is obviously a decision that can't be undone.

My stand and canopy will be a dark mahogany. The tank will have a black background. It's an 8 foot tank so I'm not sure if it will be overly distracting given the size. :headwalls:

Low iron glass aka starphire (starphire is a company, not a type of glass). I still think black silicone is the absolute way to go whether it's rimmed or rimless.

Low Iron with black silicon. One of my favorites (even though I didn't go that way on my 300). My 150 was that a few years ago, really makes a nice set up if you ask me.

Black.

I prefer clear in very few specific situations, and if it isn't immediately clear that clear would be best, then for me, that is not one of those situations.

I don't feel that it distracts from the tank either. It does stand out more, but I don't think I would ever find myself in the situation where I missed something stunning in the tank because I was too distracted by the silicone, lol.

(....it's also what I used in resealing my 300 starphire)

I am going to go against the flow here and vote clear, I don't want a black line down the sides of my clear glass tank.

I am going to go against the flow here and vote clear, I don't want a black line down the sides of my clear glass tank.

John, I'm starting to really lean this way too. If it was possible wouldn't we all want a "seamless" tank? Why put a stark black seam that will forever stand out. Although the clear silicone isn't really clear, more whitish than anything, it definitely blends better.

I do appreciate all the feedback though, but I think low iron glass with a clear silicone seam is the way I'll go.

I have had a big rimless ADA aquarium that had clear silicone and big rimless Miracles aquarium with black silicone, and I can tell you from experience that Black silicone will stand out less than clear. So I disagreed a little with your first post and vote for black.

ps. This is probably subjective, but I heard the same from people that visited my house.

It depends on other things for me such as the stand color and hood color, as well as if it is rimless. I have a black stand and black light so, in sticking with the theme, I prefer the black silicone over the clear. However, if I had gone for a rimless look, I'd prefer the silicone to be clear.

+1

My tank is completely surrounded by white cabinetry.
I went for clear.
The only thing that bothers me about clear is if you have to work harder at keeping it clean of algae.

Another benefit to clear is any imperfection in the silicone won't stand out as much. If kept clean. haha

Black.

I had clear on my last tank. Once it got growth on it, my sail fin tang would pick at it. It got all nasty and torn up. The black doesn't seem to get much growth on it... For now anyway.

I have a dsa 105 rimless w clear seams, stand is dark mahogany, didnt like it at first, but it does grow on you and gives the tank a more seamless look, you just have to keep up on the seams more. I use a magic eraser for that, your welcome to look at it, if that would make a difference

You know, It didn't occur to me until just now, but I'm going to cut some strips of black butcher paper and tack it on to my 90.

Your "Pro" for the clear is a moot point, as it will eventually stand out once the algae grows on it.

Your "Pro" for the clear is a moot point, as it will eventually stand out once the algae grows on it.

When will that happen? My tank has been running for a year and there isn't a spec of algae on the silicone and I've never cleaned it. My guess is the snails are keeping the silicone clean. Plus I have undetectable phosphates.

So I took a picture with some butcher paper and the black totally stands out. What do you think? I'm definitely leaning clear. Pardon the crappy iPhone pictures and my diamond goby decided to excavate some untouched sand in the back of my tank so I have a bit of a cloudy sand storm going on.

3430851B-5A7A-4FA1-A2EC-831D2B41CAE7_zpsalcaelbt.jpg

Back