Sixline Wrasse with cloudy patches in on tail.

hot4teacher

I have a new sixline wrasse in barebottom QT and after a few days, began to show cloudy patches on his tail. Water parameters are good and I do a 15% water change every 2 days vacuuming off the bottom.

I know this fish has experienced stress. I tried to give him a freshwater bath and he was a jumper...2 times...into a cold sink with dirty dishes. He has some PVC pieces on the bottom of his tank he hides in. he's been eating lots of tiny mysids but very few pellets.

One thing I need to fix is the temp. It's a solid 25C, which I think is too low. Water is running at 1.023 (that could stand to go a little lower too)

Thoughts? Is this passing? Treat with higher temp and lower salinity?

Dana

Do you notice the slime first thing in the morning - only? Wrasse, including the six line, will build mucous cocoons to sleep in a night. When you look at them first in the morning they can have patches of slime left over that give the impression they may be infected. Have a close look at the fish over the course of a day to see if the patch changes or seems to get better with activity. Just a thought.

Thanks for the reply Rondelet.

I made several observations throughout yesterday and it didn't appear to get better. There was a slimy patch on top of it's head that cleared.

I want to say I saw a similar cloudy tail when I had a Boxfish in QT...that was right before the dreaded sugar spots came about.

I will keep an eye. It's tough to tell it was brought home that way. I try to keep it dark to not cause any more stress, so it was a day before I took a good close look at him.

Dana

Any chance you can post a picture? If the fish is showing discrete "patches" of slime, it may suggest something like Brooklynella - but it's hard to say from a brief description. Best thing to do at this point is to keep a close watch and note any changes (i.e. is it getting better, worse or no change) to try and get a better idea of what's going on - before you consider treatment options.

It could be brooklynella, but I would think it is more likely to be bacterial considering it is located on the tail rather than around the head. You should move the fish to quarantine. Catch it in a clear plastic bag or specimen container and avoid catching it with a net. Do not remove the fish from water during transfer. Hyposalinity is a good idea and I would start a good antibiotic. In this case I would use nitrofurazone. Watch the fish and be preparred to give it formalin dips.

Terry B

Thank you all for the replies. ALL fish spend a luxuroius month in QT if all goes well. So far the condition hasn't gotten worse. I am continuing to do water changes every other day (10-15%). I will keep everyone updated. Still slime areas around the PVC it sleeps in...so at least it is still making it's slime.

Got home today and saw everything has cleared up. Not sure what is was or if it is over, but it looks good. Maybe improving water quality as compared to the LFS helped. Eating mysis heartily and swimming freely.

Dana

Just for search puposes down the road, spots on its tail and cloudy patches come and go...I suspect part of the "slime" it produces at night. It is always gone by the end of the day or next day for sure.

Dana

Back