Skimmer or Media Reactor

trane000

My 20G (IM Fushion) nano tank is about 2 weeks into the recycle process. If I had to pick my next purchase; should it be a skimmer or media reactor. Regardless of the choice, its going to be something off the back of the tank. Thank you for any recommendations...

Definetely skimmer first. You might not even need a reactor depending on what you wants are.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

if you don't have an ATO then get that before a skimmer...its so nice not having to manually top off a couple times a day plus is keeps everything more stable...
weekly 5g water changes on a 20g system should keep it pretty darn clean as long as you don't over feed like crazy or put a ton of fish in there..

if you haven't got the media baskets yet id ditch the socks and get media baskets, at least one...then you can throw filter floss on the top and bottom with chemipure blue or elite in the center. you can get filter floss for cheap in bulk, its so much easier to change filter floss than pulling out the socks 1-2 times a week and cleaning them.

another tip is when you do water changes make sure to suck out all the crap that builds up in the back sump area once a month

IMO.. no need for either on a small tank like that.. water changes alone are all thats needed..
But if its a choice then ATO then skimmer..

thank you all for your recommendations..

What is the benefit of ATO besides convenience? Which skimmer would everyone recommend for a 20G tank.

No skimmer. Tunze osmolator. Algae reactor!

ATO can be the difference between a good and a great tank because it keeps your parameters much more stable than manual top off. Unless you plan on standing in front of your tank 24/7.

Espically in a smaller tank like yours. Keeping the perimeters steady with an ato is probably the best thing you can do

Back