Skimmer Q&A Thread

I was thinking should I spend the extra $100 for the entry level Super Reef Octopus w/Bubble Blaster 1000?

NWB-110 is $185
Super Reef Octopus 1000 $285

worth the extra $100?

I was thinking should I spend the extra $100 for the entry level Super Reef Octopus w/Bubble Blaster 1000?

NWB-110 is $185
Super Reef Octopus 1000 $285

worth the extra $100?

sro 1000, Octo xs 160, sea side aquatics cs1. All under $300 and much better skimmers.

That is a great price.hard to turn that down

i didn't. picked it up this morning. it has the pinwheel and not the mesh. you advised to stay around 2.5-3" at the collection cup in an earlier post and rec the skimz 121 and sro 1000.

the opening on the nac-7 in 3.5". would you just run this skimmer or sell it and go w the skimz 121.
thanks

reef octopus 8 pinwheel skimmer

reef octopus 8 pinwheel skimmer

im debating buying the reef octopus 8 pinwheel skimmer for my 125 im setting up it is rated for 250g and my twv will be about 160. sound good this is near the top level for my budget for a skimmer i will have a medium fish bioload but it will be a mixed reef of lps and sps i also will have a 20g refugium with lots of macro mainly chaeto and ulva and some rock and about 200pounds total of live and base rock

I understand it is a bad idea to use a skimmer that is too big for the tank, since it may not produce enough to travel all the way up the cone, due to a wider neck. Can you compensate by running the larger skimmer for only part of the day? Or am I off base here...

i need a skimmer for a cube tank which is 25 x 25 x 27 hieght in inches. it holds around 157 litres i think. the sump is 20 x 17 x 16 hight. the water level in the skimmer area will be around 14 inches. the problem is most skimmers work at 9 innches so my sump could be too deep. and the hight of the cabinet is 25 inches. so if i put a platform in the skimmer chamber the skimmer could be too tall. also the skimmer area is 8 inches wide by 13.5 wide. can u recommend me a good powerfull quiet skimmer that would fit in this space. price range 200 300 pounds

Last edited:
im debating buying the reef octopus 8 pinwheel skimmer for my 125 im setting up it is rated for 250g and my twv will be about 160. sound good this is near the top level for my budget for a skimmer i will have a medium fish bioload but it will be a mixed reef of lps and sps i also will have a 20g refugium with lots of macro mainly chaeto and ulva and some rock and about 200pounds total of live and base rock

its will do a nice job. It moves a lot of water just not as much air as some of the others. You will do just fine with it. Its a nice unit.

Mojo~

i need a skimmer for a cube tank which is 25 x 25 x 27 hieght in inches. it holds around 157 litres i think. the sump is 20 x 17 x 16 hight. the water level in the skimmer area will be around 14 inches. the problem is most skimmers work at 9 innches so my sump could be too deep. and the hight of the cabinet is 25 inches. so if i put a platform in the skimmer chamber the skimmer could be too tall. also the skimmer area is 8 inches wide by 13.5 wide. can u recommend me a good powerfull quiet skimmer that would fit in this space. price range 200 300 pounds

Look at a tunze. You can mount it so you can get it to work at your levels. 9006 would be the model you want.

Hi Mojo, hope you're enjoying Macna. Tell us about the goodies.

What's your opinion on SWC skimmers? A quality product?
In particular the 300a cone w/the Askoll pump.

thanks for everything.

Back