Skimmer Q&A Thread

I'll double-down on Steel's question about which skimmer is the best bang for the buck.

I'm setting up a 125 gallon with 30 gallon sump. Not looking to spend too crazy.

Have been looking at the following, but open to other suggestions as well:

Diablo - 2500 Cone
Super Reef Octopus XP2000
SWC Xtreme 180

I haven't built my sump yet, so operating depth and foot print are flexible, although the width of my sump is only about 11 1/2" on the inside, so limited in that regard.

Mojo (or anyone else)

I purchased a NAC7 about a year ago. A month ago I had to replace the mesh wehll because it cracked. I just replaced the second. I have one more spare so I am looking for more. Can't seem to find any. So fir question anyone know who has these?

I did come across a pinwheel impeller. Would this be an upgrade?

Thanks

Setting up a 120 gallon with a 40 breeder sump. Planning for a mixed reef, eventually at least medium stock level, if not high by the time it's all said and done.

This is my list so far:

1. SRO XP2000
2. SWC Xtreme 150 BMK
3. Avast CS-1
4. Bubble Magus NAC7
5. SWC Xtreme 160

Trying to keep it $200-$300 if possible. Number one falls outside that range, but could score a used one.

All work dimensions wise in my sump/stand and water height is not an issue.

What's the recommendation? Feel free to add or delete from the list, just give at least a little justification for your actions. :)

Mojo,

Been looking at the Seaside Aquatics CS1 and the Skimz Sm121 for my 46/20 set up. Any preference? Are their others to consider? Real leery about using anything with a meshwheel because of all the start up issues.

Mojo (or anyone else)

I purchased a NAC7 about a year ago. A month ago I had to replace the mesh wehll because it cracked. I just replaced the second. I have one more spare so I am looking for more. Can't seem to find any. So fir question anyone know who has these?

Thanks

Stick with the needle wheel.

Their hybrid mesh wheel works but has had tons of cracking issues on the cages.

Mojo do you think I can go with this skimmer on an Elos Midi 36 gal tank plus Elos 400 sump?

nyos.jpg

Nyos Zen Compact Cone Protein Skimmers

The New Nyos Zen Compact Cone Protein Skimmer is the result of successful development in integrating cylindrical and cone shape chambers in our quest to produce the most effective skimmers. This successful design minimizes sharp edges within the skimmer body, thereby minimizing pre-mature bubble bursting and surface agitation.

Together with the use of the bubble plate design to reduce turbulence within the skimmer chamber, maximum air flow capacity can be achieved in our compact skimmer. This results in the reduced height of the skimmer; allowing the Nyos Zen Compact Cone to easily fit into most installations.
All Nyos Zen Compact Cone protein skimmers are fitted with the new Nyos ES Pumps. NyosES Pumps are jointly developed with Italian pump manufacturer, using the most advanced material for the needlewheel impeller, "œseamless-coated rare earth magnet" for unsurpassed durability and performance. The NyosES Pumps are available in 3 models: ES2000, ES2800 and ES5000.

Nyos latest design allows cleaned water to exit the skimmer chamber at its base where it is almost bubble-free. Precise adjustment of the water level within the skimmer body can now be easily achieved using the new micro-Adjustable Valve.
Nyos Zen Compact Conesare designed for in-sump use. No feed pump required, skimmers draw water directly from sump.

Features
"¢ Cylindricalconeshapebody
"¢ Nyoshigh performance "˜ES Skimmer Pump'
"¢ Bubble plate design reduces bubble turbulence
"¢ Micro-adjustable Valve for easy and precise setting
"¢ Nyos latest design allowing exit of bubble-free cleaned water
"¢ Twist-lock neck for easy cup removal
"¢ High precision CNC machinedparts
"¢ Top quality +GF+ pipefittings

Model 120
Pump ES 2000
Air 680 Liter
Power consumption 12 Watt
Dimensions 15.6 x 15.6 x 53 cm
Tank size 200 - 750 Liter
Sump Water Level 18 - 24 cm

Thank you for your help!

wow! looks just like the skimz sm121 with shorter bubble plate.

Mojo do you think I can go with this skimmer on an Elos Midi 36 gal tank plus Elos 400 sump?

nyos.jpg

Nyos Zen Compact Cone Protein Skimmers

The New Nyos Zen Compact Cone Protein Skimmer is the result of successful development in integrating cylindrical and cone shape chambers in our quest to produce the most effective skimmers. This successful design minimizes sharp edges within the skimmer body, thereby minimizing pre-mature bubble bursting and surface agitation.

Together with the use of the bubble plate design to reduce turbulence within the skimmer chamber, maximum air flow capacity can be achieved in our compact skimmer. This results in the reduced height of the skimmer; allowing the Nyos Zen Compact Cone to easily fit into most installations.
All Nyos Zen Compact Cone protein skimmers are fitted with the new Nyos ES Pumps. NyosES Pumps are jointly developed with Italian pump manufacturer, using the most advanced material for the needlewheel impeller, "œseamless-coated rare earth magnet" for unsurpassed durability and performance. The NyosES Pumps are available in 3 models: ES2000, ES2800 and ES5000.

Nyos latest design allows cleaned water to exit the skimmer chamber at its base where it is almost bubble-free. Precise adjustment of the water level within the skimmer body can now be easily achieved using the new micro-Adjustable Valve.
Nyos Zen Compact Conesare designed for in-sump use. No feed pump required, skimmers draw water directly from sump.

Features
"¢ Cylindricalconeshapebody
"¢ Nyoshigh performance "˜ES Skimmer Pump'
"¢ Bubble plate design reduces bubble turbulence
"¢ Micro-adjustable Valve for easy and precise setting
"¢ Nyos latest design allowing exit of bubble-free cleaned water
"¢ Twist-lock neck for easy cup removal
"¢ High precision CNC machinedparts
"¢ Top quality +GF+ pipefittings

Model 120
Pump ES 2000
Air 680 Liter
Power consumption 12 Watt
Dimensions 15.6 x 15.6 x 53 cm
Tank size 200 - 750 Liter
Sump Water Level 18 - 24 cm

Thank you for your help!

This is the skimz 121. They have been making thereskimmers and rebranding them just like the new WM mf line as well. THe skimmer is good. I have one myself. Make sure it has the new magnet assembly

It can be adjusted but I would like to stay under 8 or 9 inches. I probably could go 9.5 if you are thinking BM.

The octo xs or seaside aquatics cs1 would be my choice as they use the psk 600 pump and it is much nicer than the Atman line of pumps.

Hey mojo i have a 60g cube not used to a tank this size usually alot bigger so dont know much about smaller skimmers. Im debating betwee vertex cone bkmini 160 or reefoctopus but theres 4 diffrent ones if reef octopusses any thoughts ????

The bkmini 160 is one of my all time favorites. but honestly the sro 1000 int would probably do the trick and save you some serious $$. I say that because of the size of your tank.

ok getting back into the hobby

what will be good for 125 display 55 gal sump/ fuge and medium to small bioload

125 you have several ways to go. If you would like to keep cost down then the Vertex in 180 gen 3 would be great, the Octo xs 200, The sea side aquatics cs2and the aquamaxx am 250 are all great options and even up to a heavier load.

If you are looking for something more high end lmk and I can direct you that way as well. But these are all under $500

Mojo (or anyone else)

Thanks

they come with the pinwheel now as they had some issues with the meshwheel and better reliability with the pinwheel and made the change

My diy skimmer and current situation: I built my own very sturdy, professional looking and working skimmer for around $100 using parts I purchased from Tapp plastics and home depot. It worked very well shortley after I set up my aquarium for about 1 week while collecting suds. Since the aquarium has been cycling with a filter sock and biological media catching most the excess waste before it, the skimmer hasn't created excess suds for the past few weeks, even though plenty of microbubbles are being formed inside the skimmer.

Question: is it normal for little to no skimming to happen during cycling with no fish or just 1 fish with very little waste production in a 125 gallons of water for atleast the first month or two?

Setting up a 120 gallon with a 40 breeder sump. Planning for a mixed reef, eventually at least medium stock level, if not high by the time it's all said and done.

This is my list so far:

1. SRO XP2000
2. SWC Xtreme 150 BMK
3. Avast CS-1
4. Bubble Magus NAC7
5. SWC Xtreme 160

Trying to keep it $200-$300 if possible. Number one falls outside that range, but could score a used one.

All work dimensions wise in my sump/stand and water height is not an issue.

What's the recommendation? Feel free to add or delete from the list, just give at least a little justification for your actions. :)

I would def go with the SRO or avast cs1 with the psk 1000 pump. you could get the SRO int 2000. the int is a bit cheaper and has a long conical transition to the neck. Thebb 2000 pump will do really well .

the Avast cs1 is great too, and with the sicce psk 1000 its a really great skimmer.

I would choose between those two.

hey. new to this site. i am setting up a 36g reef tank... so no sump =[ making my life difficult.

i am looking for a quality HOB skimmer for this tank.

this is going in a friends office, so the less maintenance the better, the last thing i need is to get a phone call on Monday morning letting me know about an overflow or leak due to the protein skimmer.

any help is much appreciated =] ty.

The SRO Hob 1000 or the aquamaxx h1 Those are really the top two hob in the market now days. An older Deltec will work well too ifyou can find a used one.

Mojo,

Been looking at the Seaside Aquatics CS1 and the Skimz Sm121 for my 46/20 set up. Any preference? Are their others to consider? Real leery about using anything with a meshwheel because of all the start up issues.

the 121 or the sro 1000 would be better on that size tank. the cs1 would do better on a about a tank with a little more load due to neck size.

Hey mojo i have a 60g cube not used to a tank this size usually alot bigger so dont know much about smaller skimmers. Im debating betwee vertex cone bkmini 160 or reefoctopus but theres 4 diffrent ones if reef octopusses any thoughts ????

Hello,

I am setting up a new 90 gallon reef with a 30 gallon sump. It will likely end up with a high bio load. I have heard great things about the reef octopus skimmers so I am planning to go with one of them. I have been looking at the super reef octopus 2000 and the reef octopus extreme 160/200. Which one is better? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the two lines?

Answered above.

This is the skimz 121. They have been making thereskimmers and rebranding them just like the new WM mf line as well. THe skimmer is good. I have one myself. Make sure it has the new magnet assembly

Mojo, you didn`t mention if you think this will work on a Elos midi 36 gallon plus elos 400 sump ? (dont know the actual water vulume of this sump)

Is it too big ? or is it OK?

I dont plan to have many fishes as it is only a 36 gallon display tank plus sump but I`m planing on having many LPS and SPS corals.

I was also considering a smaller SWC Extreme cone 120 but I cant get these in Europe.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back