Skimmer question

MBizzo

I'm starting to purchase equipment for my new build and I'm having a hard time choosing a skimmer. My entire setup will be about 130 gallons with the sump, but after rock and sand displacement probably 90-100 gallons total. Do I look for a skimmer rated twice the amount of water that's actually in there or 130 amount? My ultimate goal is only having to do a water change once a month. Thank you for any help

I'm starting to purchase equipment for my new build and I'm having a hard time choosing a skimmer. My entire setup will be about 130 gallons with the sump, but after rock and sand displacement probably 90-100 gallons total. Do I look for a skimmer rated twice the amount of water that's actually in there or 130 amount? My ultimate goal is only having to do a water change once a month. Thank you for any help

Id get one rated for 200 Gal. Not sure if any skimmer will get you monthly water changes "successfully" though. You will def. need to dose things like cal and alk if you go that long.

Im using this on my 90
http://coralvue.com/pro-openvolute-protein-skimmer/

It is amazing, they are out of stock till april though. Its a very small foot print with very good performance.

8522491118_0fd59e4195_b.jpg

Id get one rated for 200 Gal. Not sure if any skimmer will get you monthly water changes "successfully" though. You will def. need to dose things like cal and alk if you go that long.

Would a skimmer rated for 240 be overkill? Yeah I'm going to be doing BRS 2 part, and running a phosphate reactor. That skimmer looks amazing! How much did you pay for it, I didn't see a price on the link. Thanks

Would a skimmer rated for 240 be overkill? Yeah I'm going to be doing BRS 2 part, and running a phosphate reactor. That skimmer looks amazing! How much did you pay for it, I didn't see a price on the link. Thanks

Depends what brand. Some companies overrate them.
My skimmer was 540.

Back