Skimmer recommendations

While performing a water change the main return pump should be off and the skimmer off too as well. After performing the water change when the main return pump goes back on, you should to wait 5 to 10 minutes for the water level in the skimmer chamber of your sump gets stable. Then turn you skimmer back on.

If the sump design is right, the skimmer chamber should keep the same water level at all times while the skimmer is running. There is no need to be readjusted. I only adjust mine if I want to get wet skimmate for while, then after a few days I'll adjust it back to what it was.

That is exactly what I do, except I usually wait 30m after the system is running again before turning the skimmer on. The skimmer chamber is constant level.

I think the water level might just be too high for the skimmer. It's ~8 inches from the bottom of the sump and my sump doesn't have an adjustable water level.

I did end up getting a Bubble King 150 for a steal. I haven't broken it in yet, but the recommended max water level is ~7.5", so I'm on the lookout for a skimmer stand to lift it up a few inches.

Raising the skimmer a quarter of an inch will not make a noticable difference. Since you said water level from the bottom of the sump is 8 inches I subtracted the sump thickness of 1/4 inch. Just a guess but all skimmers will operate at a decent range. I would guess that skimmer could be made to work well anywhere from maybe 6 inches up to 10ish. Their testing was done in their controlled environment not yours. Every tank is different. No stand is needed. Just tweak it and enjoy.

Raising the skimmer a quarter of an inch will not make a noticable difference. Since you said water level from the bottom of the sump is 8 inches I subtracted the sump thickness of 1/4 inch. Just a guess but all skimmers will operate at a decent range. I would guess that skimmer could be made to work well anywhere from maybe 6 inches up to 10ish. Their testing was done in their controlled environment not yours. Every tank is different. No stand is needed. Just tweak it and enjoy.

I'm sorry, I just remeasured and the sump level is over 10". The instructions for the BK say 8" as a max and that the cup should be collecting dry foam. Currently, it's not even close to dry foam and the output is fully open.

Also from the BK instructions when discussing dry vs wet skimming: "This can result in overflowing if impurities like fat - rich feed, various trace elements or fresh filter media come into contact with water." This is exactly what I was experiencing with the Octopus. I'm going to raise the skimmer to keep it within spec. It's not a hassle to lift it up a bit, and I'd rather have more control over the wet/dry skim amount instead of being stuck with wet skimming 24/7.

Back