Skimmer suggestions

lifereef

it is truly the best. and I've gone through a handful of high end skimmers myself. do a search function on lifereef club

Last edited:
So I did a lot of reading on the lifereef skimmers. I've been in this hobby for a long time and I feel like I've totally missed this company. It looks awesome. Like too good to be true awesome. I am so swayed by the newer style skimmers though and I don't even know why. Maybe just because it's new and shiney

If one skimmer was truly the "Best" everyone would have it. Not meaning anything about this company in particular but for someone to come out and say I am the best with a product so hard to measure means they probably aren't.

I'm sure some skimmer are better than others, but at the end of the day, as long as it's meeting your requirements that's all that matters. I buy Reef Octopus skimmers because they work, they're built very well, they're quiet and give me "a lot" of value per dollar.

Would I rather have an ATB? Sure. Am I willing to spend thousands on a skimmer? Hell no. For what? A couple more ounces of skim mate production per week and no noticeable change in nutrients? Once your nutrients are undetectable what difference does it make?

One mistake I learned first hand from reading on RC was the whole buying a oversized skimmer for twice the size of your tank... Um no. Buy a skimmer designed for your tank and taller is better. (If you can fit it in your stand).

Anyway, my 2 cents deposited.

So I did a lot of reading on the lifereef skimmers. I've been in this hobby for a long time and I feel like I've totally missed this company. It looks awesome. Like too good to be true awesome. I am so swayed by the newer style skimmers though and I don't even know why. Maybe just because it's new and shiney

Like you I was always drawn to the newer technology. Lifereef hasn't changed in 20 years or so. There's no gimmick of new technology. That's something to be said about a product that doesn't need tinkering with. Call Jeff up. I was hesitant at first due to the lack of advertisement but ended up buying his sump system. His website is borderline archaic. And it is truly the best skimmer. I've had some pretty expensive skimmers.

If one skimmer was truly the "Best" everyone would have it. Not meaning anything about this company in particular but for someone to come out and say I am the best with a product so hard to measure means they probably aren't.

I'm comparing this to reef octopus pov dc2, vertex alpha 170 and the cone2. Pretty expensive and well known. All are garbage compared to my lifereef.

Back