Skimmer water level

JMorris271

I have seen different ways to set the skimmer up but what I am still unsuren of is where the skimmers water level in the compartment goes. I know skimmers are usually suppose to be around 8 " of water depth.

Does the water level need to be as shown in this picture? Passing over the baffle?
View attachment 293266

No exactly sure what your asking.
That pictures shows that with that sump design the water level in the two baffled Chambers will be constant and the chamber with the return pump will fluctuate with evaporation. Your skimmer will work best with a constant water level. Each skimmer has a recommendation for what that level is. You can build eggcrate platforms to raise you skimmer but you can't lower it without redesigning your sump. Skimmers are adjustable so that you can tune them to work in different situations.

so the skimmer bottom will always be set at the recommended level operation below the top of the baffle after the adjustment?Very new to this. Sorry.
I think the adjustment part is what throws me for a loop.

1. The skimmers level adjustment has the function of controlling the amount of skimmate that comes out the top. That FINE adjustment needs to be made incrementally for optimum skimmer performance. Sometimes it needs to be readjusted due to a number of variables that affect the froth production.
2. The depth of water that the skimmer sits in is the COARSE adjustment. That has to be done first. Skimmer manufacturer should recommend the preferred depth. IMHO that can be estimated to be at the same height as the base of the collection funnel. Try that and see how it goes.
3. The left-most baffle is intended to keep a constant water level that the skimmer sits in and keep you from perpetually tweaking the FINE adjustment.
Good luck,
Tom

Back