Skinny tang / ID help

Turf Plumber

Hello. I was at an LFS and inquired about a tang that has been in one of their coral tanks for a long time. At least 6 months. I didnt think it was for sale but they guy didnt seem to mind parting with it. There isnt much flow to speak of in that tank. The tang is very skinny but he was eating and looking generally healthy other than thin so I picked him up.
Question 1: how to get him to gain some weight. I'm pretty sure he has lost a lot of muscle due to low flow so is there any danger in just cranking it up for him? There are low flow places in the rocks and stuff. He has eaten everything I offered, mysis/brine nori off the clip, picking at my substantial hair algae collection, and even ate a pellet or two.
Question 2: what is he?? The LFS guy said lavender tang but I cant find any pics of lavenders that look like this. He looks more like a kole to me but he doesnt have any yellow or blue around his eyes. Hes a dull purplish brown or grey, with gold dots on his face and a lighter tail than his body. Dont worry, nutrients are in check, the hair algae just got let go for a couple months while I was out of town and my wife was taking care of the tank.
c8c8c91d29bcc93aaa575bd68b6627e7.jpg
c23ae670e67b910f8b4c0e207f4dda12.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Looks like a kole tang. If its eating, it should gain weight. It would be different if it was skinny and you were trying to get it to eat. Continue to provide greens as its needed in their diet, it should bounce back. I would provide feedings multiple times a day

If the tank have that much hair algae and he is skinny, I am not sure if her really eat. Any of my tang would clean up that hair algae.

I thought that picture was at the LFS.
Just feed him and he will gain weight quickly. I think he will make short work of your hair algae.

Finally got a much better pic for ID. Right now I'm with OrionN on it being a striatus.
9e81d8f16ba68dfe718dbe4b171f727a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Looks like he’s in good hands - have you tried live black worms? That’s been my go-to food to fatten up fish or get a picky fish to eat. That and clams on the half shell. Good luck.

Back