slime problem but not what you think

RUGDOG

I am getting this slime jelly like stuff in my sump. The biggest issue with it is my filter socks seem to skim or slime up with it within 12 to 24 hours witch causes them to fill up and overflow instead of skim. anybody ever seen anything like this.

No not dino. it is really colorless just kinda clear to white jelly like. the socks are slick and slimy when I pull them

doesnt really seam to be in the tank and corals and fish are fine. althought I have had the old scum film on the surface the last few days

According to Eric Borneman, taking your pH gradually to 8.6 or higher will do the trick without harming the corals. I can't find the article he wrote on it at the moment, though.

Tomoko

The same thing is going on in my sump too...Same with the skimmer.
So Tomoko you are saying getting the ph to 8.6 will take care of this. I will give it a try.

Raising pH to 8.6 or 8.7 is for getting rid of dinoflagellates. I don't know if it works for anything else. You need to find out if you have dino or bacteria bloom first.

I cannot find Eric Borneman's instructions for killing the problem dinoflagellate, but Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley also wrote an article for it. You can read it here.

Tomoko

Yeah I dont think so for me either. mine seems to be improving after a few filter sock changes but I also discovered on looking into my phosban reactor with a flashlight a couple of days ago that there seems to be a film of it on the top in there and the rowa is not bubbling so in the next couple of days when I have a few minutes I am going to siphon it out of there. Kinda just hopin at this point that I am just exportoing it outa there with the sock changes etc. also this is water change weekend.

i think it some kind of bactera bloom. i get it sometimes after dosing vodka.
rugdog i think you doing the right think by changing out your filter sock. btw i dont think it will be much of a prob as long as it dont get in the dispay area. good luck and keep us posted

Back