slow sand filtration, a real DSB?...

richiethered

Hello,
Been reading into something called a slow sand filter for water purification. The unit looks and functions basically like this:

http://www.son-international.org/images/filter.jpg
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb0xf3mRbJM

It takes non-potable undrinkable water and purifies it to potable. Used in third world countries where fresh water is unavailable.

Now this got me to thinking of the way of things. Scary I know. The ocean probably uses the same process. Millions of tons of water pushing deep into the sand bed. Filtering out all those little bad guys. Does it not?
We are limited to a DSB that has a definite bottom, and a very finite amount of sand. We have to worry about dead areas and not stirring up the bed. poor circulation into the sand. And as far as I can tell we rely on water flow for the water to work its way through the sand. The Ocean has virtually none of these areas or problems or limitations.
Now I am not saying to get rid of your deep sand beds. Especially since this is just in research and theory stage. But just a thought as to adding a separate "slow sand filter". A slow drizzle from the main tank to a stand-alone SSF (slow sand filter) that drips its filtered water into the refugium. No extra electricity to use. All gravity fed. The water from the main tank collects into the diffuser and then seeps down through the sand. We have no dead areas due to gravity pulling all the water down into the bottom of the filter.
Seems to me it would give all the benefits of a real oceanic DSB without any of the drawbacks. Best of all it is devilishly simple, and simple is always better. IMHO
Research will have to be done as to what happens to nitrates/nitrites, and other testable variables. But I know for sure that biological contaminates are removed. After the SSF the water can be ran through a charcoal filter for even more purification.
Any thoughts? related information? A scientist to tell me Im crazy and this is a lame brain idea. :wildone:

What about the oxygen concentration gradient?

If you are pushing water through then you only have aerobic areas for denitrification and are missing the cycle via your SSF.

But simple does work and I like simple.

I agree Kafudafish,

The design doesnt include an anaerobic zone, Which is the pinnacle idea for a dsb. If the water flowed through super slow it might develop anaerobic zones, I mean slow, a gallon a week or less. But that would probably yield a whole other set of problems, in the leeching of unwanted compounds to your water column. I mean in a normal dsb the water flows only over the top few mm's of sand, leaving the underlying areas undisturbed(crucial for anaerobes), while the disturbed areas develop aerobically. And they tag team. I like mr. wilsons idea of inserting a heater into the sand bed, and using it occasionally for a minuscule amount of water movement.

Just curious, would you guys drink non-potable water poured through a sand bed in a 3rd world country? ....

Back