Is this real live rock?

agoutihead

So I’m usually pretty good about being able to tell whether rocks are real ocean live rock or not.

I’ve pulled out of my pile what I know is fake live rock and has purple sand glued to it. But these 3 pieces have me stumped. I took pics of both sides of all 3 rocks, with a zoom in area of the one rock that seems fishy to me. Almost seems like it’s glued sand or something.

The 2 large pieces are dense and heavy while the 3rd bowling ball shaped piece is rather light comparatively.

I think they are, but I’m not totally sure.

What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_5946.jpeg
    IMG_5946.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5950.jpeg
    IMG_5950.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5947.jpeg
    IMG_5947.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5949.jpeg
    IMG_5949.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5948.jpeg
    IMG_5948.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5951.jpeg
    IMG_5951.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5952.jpeg
    IMG_5952.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
Every time I scroll through different ones look real and fake. If any are fake they're pretty good but I also have no experience with manmade rocks. Completely unhelpful but a bump none the less.

I’m on the fence like Sean. You could chip a small piece off of each, put it in vinegar and see if it bubbles.

Based on the fake rock I’ve seen. That looks real. Now whether or not it’s real dry rock (Marco) or former fresh live rock, I’d lean more towards Marco rock than former fresh live rock.

That’s also not say that two pieces of Marco or former fresh live rock didn’t get glued together but I’m not seeing hard evidence of glue

It is real dry rock that at some point in the past was live rock. It will require some time to cure all the dead tissue. Or you could put it in a bucket of 20%bleach for a week.after a week it should be completely clean. If not repeat. Take it out spray it with a hose for a long time put it back in the cleaned bucket with fresh water and Change the water daily for 3 days. Then add something to remove the chlorine for a couple days. Test the water for chlorine if it reads zero your good to go.

Back