Snails Crabs or Both?

crabbydan

Just wanting some gut opinions/thoughts on snails and crabs. I have gone 2 years with just snails no crabs as I thought the crabs just kill the snails for shells. Is this true or just a myth?

What do all of you keep as a clean up crew? Do you go just snails or just crabs or do you mix? Also any real difference between red legged blue legged and common hermits?

Give me your thoughts!

I believe 100% that crabs (specifically blue legged) will go after snail shells and kill them..
NO matter if there is sufficient food or not in the tank..

I also have a few myself and "routine snail restocking" is just part of the game for me..

Hermits can kill snails and other hermits for shells if they need too for space. It's happened in my tank before but you could try keeping Halloween hermits with snails that don't have coned shells as the Halloween hermits need the cone shape. That is probably your best bet for hermits and snails.

Just remember that crabs are opportunistic. That being said, i wouldn't be without them in my tank! Keep them fed and a few spare shells etc they should be fine. The loss of a snail or two isn't anything to worry about IMO. They are cheap and plentiful in our oceans.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using Tapatalk

I keep all snails EXCEPT for the one sole hermit that I got for the daughter. I added a bunch of empty snail shells of various sizes for him. We've already gotten to watch him swap shells once already. He actually did it early in the morning while my daughter was watching. It was pretty cool.

I don't have any crabs in the display tank, just a few in the sump that were left overs from when we upgraded tanks, the crabs went after every "larger" snail we had, they didn't bother with the mall ones but I like diversity in my snail population and decided the crabs had to go, they're A-holes.

Crabs are better scavengers. IMO snails don't do much in the tank. They may eat algae, but not enough to where you're going to notice a difference. Your tank maintenance will still be the same regardless IMO. That being said, I keep both.

I agree with all above. Hermits are cool but can grow really big and cause alot of issues with killing, etc. Stick with all the rest.

Big chestnut turbos are an asset in a large (50 gallon and up) tank. A bit much for a smaller one. Pointy snails die because they can't crawl on sand, and fall over and starve. Margaritas die because they're cooler-water snails. Know your species: for small tanks, limpets and ceriths are the most trouble-free. Of crabs, scarlets are the best-behaved, stay small, and live for years and years.

Big chestnut turbos are an asset in a large (50 gallon and up) tank.

Yep. I have a couple of those in MY tank. My hermits don't touch those. Or my four other large turbo grazing snails.
As for the Hermits, the little sheits ate pretty much of everything in the last two packages I ordered from Reef Cleaners, though.
Got tired of always having to replenish my CUC so I leave the hermits alone with my large snails. And I got a pair of Emeralds too and they're fun to watch. No issues between them and my hermits or other inverts I have (my feather dusters, clam, sea urchins, etc).

i get the small or dwarf hermits...they leave all my snails alone but once a snail dies they swoop up the shell in a heart beat

I have tried many different snails... Nerite, Astraea, Cerith, but the only ones which have really done their job as part of a CUC is the Nassarius. During feeding time, they pop up out of the sand helping stir it a bit. I haven't added any to my Biocube 29 for 5-6 years, but they're still in there kicking!

I have tried many different snails... Nerite, Astraea, Cerith, but the only ones which have really done their job as part of a CUC is the Nassarius. During feeding time, they pop up out of the sand helping stir it a bit. I haven't added any to my Biocube 29 for 5-6 years, but they're still in there kicking!

the first batch of snails eat algae, nassarius snails dont eat algae, its why you see them come out when you feed the tank

Big chestnut turbos are an asset in a large (50 gallon and up) tank. A bit much for a smaller one. Pointy snails die because they can't crawl on sand, and fall over and starve. Margaritas die because they're cooler-water snails. Know your species: for small tanks, limpets and ceriths are the most trouble-free. Of crabs, scarlets are the best-behaved, stay small, and live for years and years.

+1

just dont get to many crabs, if they are hungry or your tank is too clean they will kill your snails.
Also i like trochus snails,they even reproduced like crazy in my tank is.

so I almost dont care if my crabs eat the,

FWIW, I have found scarlet hermits to be okay with snails, at least compared to blood sport loving blue leg hermits.

Wow great diverse responses. I do have a few red striped troucus and have seen babies so I know they reproduce. I also have a few ceriths. I never seem to be able to keep turbos alive they fall over and die before I find them to flip them. I think I am going to add about 5 hermits blue or scarlet not sure which to my 105 gallon.

Back