Snails on clam

Numsee

I noticed this morning several small snails on my derasa clam. I removed 8.They do not look like the pyramid snails that Ive looked up. They are light brown tan with two white stripes, about the size of a grain of rice. Sorry no pics not smart enough to figure how to resize. The pics I have seen the snails that prey on clams are all white. I know they are doing some harm The mantel is pinched up where I found the the biggest group and what looks like threads coming off the clam at these points. I have not added anything to this tank in 5 mounths. And that was this clam after a two week quarintine in a sps tank with no clams.

any snails hanging out on a clam is bad keep checking clam everyday and remove as many as possible, usually those snails will come out at night so check with flashlight at night.

$.10 snail eats $100 clam!! Film at 11. That would just force me to be upset. How would you get rid of them without killing everything? From what I have read on here, snails reproduce pretty quickly. Numsee, hope you don't lose the clam. Let us all know if you get through this and how you did it.

I removed all I could find 9 total. After about a hour the clam mantel and all were fine. The big problem from what I am reading is I cannot remove the clam. Early on it moved off the small rock and attached itself to the 20" round anchor rock for that side of the tank. I hope they dont find my big clam. I havent found any there but it has loosened its grip on the ledge,rotated 90 deg, its been on for a year.

They are collinista snails = Harmless.

They mainly come out at night, see if you can see/find them in other places in the aquarium, on other rocks or glass.

Pyramid snails are completely white and shaped a dunce cap.
Collinista are like a small turban with he stripes like you mentioned, they can also be slightly checkered or broken patterned.

The pyramid snails stay tucked right up under the mantel and under the foot. Not on the shell, typically.

+1 breutus, was trying to think of name of those small guys all i think was they had shell like olive snail.

Best bet so far, took this mornings crew to two lfs nobody had seen them before. The two spots they were grouped on this morning, The mantel has pulled away from the shell. Not looking good for this one. The one side is extended and fine the other looks bad. The guy at planet reef descibed them the best, mini fighting conchs. Its bad they took out my good looking clam I just hope they dont find the big one.

Back