So Frustrated - Tank Disaster!

Masedaddy

SPS/Chalice Collector
So I can home the other day to an awful smell in my basement. The finished basement is where my tank resides.

It seems for some reason my son decided to put a AA battery in my sump. I'm assuming due to the reaction of the battery discharging and corroding is the reason my Alk dropped drastically, seemingly overnight. (I'm neither concerned nor desire to understand the physics or chemical mechanics as to how this occurred. It doesn't matter now.)

My tank was extremely cloudy and smelled awful. The skimmer was gummed up with this white gunk.

I lost 2 fish... My Mystery Wrasse and a Pintail Wrasse. I had the Mystery Wrasse for close to 3 years and he was about the same size as Krazy Karl's Mystery Wrasse...

But the real kicker was ALL of my prized SPS died in the tragedy. My colonies are all stark white!! I'm so frustrated and ****ed I can't even describe how I'm feeling... Stuff I have grown from a 1 inch frag to a volleyball sized colony gone in a matter of hours....

I also lost many of my chalices...surprisingly the expensive ones like my Jason Fox Biohazard chalice and Pink Boobies survived.

Most of my LPS survived as well.

I'm just so frustrated I'm thinking about calling it quits... I easily lost 10k or more in corals... I don't know whether to cry or scream. I'll probably do both.

Ugggggghhhhhhh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 57G Oceanic Illuminata Display, 30G Deep Blue Frag Tank, 50 Gallon Custom Sump, Tunze 9415 DOC Skimmer, 36 in and 16 in SeaLife LEDs with T5HO supplement, Denitrator, Tunze ATO, Jebao Doser, 2x Ecotech MP10s

Sorry to hear that you are welcome to frags of what ever survives my tank this summer..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thank you guys! I appreciate it. I'm going to try to get the tank to settle out and then start again. I really appreciate the guys and gals that are willing to help each other out!!

Mason,

When your ready, many of us will have a "bring a frag to a Mason" meeting.

Hang in there we've got ya..

Skip

Oh, man... so sorry about this, Mason. Happy to frag away whenever you're ready. Let us know however we can help out. Crashes happen to everyone it seems. You'll bounce back!!

You are welcome to anything I have as well though it pales in comparison to our other esteemed reefers!

I recall your son is a little guy. Stinks...

You are welcome to anything I have as well though it pales in comparison to our other esteemed reefers!

I recall your son is a little guy. Stinks...

Thank you, my son will be 4 in September. He is a little guy and is very rambunctious. I appreciate the offer. I'm trying to stabilize everything now, I'll keep everyone updated.

Sorry to hear that mase that really sucks...I don't have any SPS in my tank only zoas but you're welcome to any thing I got,I do have some pretty nice ones

Well after many, many water changes and carbon galore. It seems I have reached the end of the tank crash. My remaining corals have started to flourish again and I added a few test SPS pieces. The all seem to be doing fine. I feel like I can finally breathe again!!

To everyone who volunteered to donate to replenish my coral stock. I appreciate your generosity greatly and will humbly accept all donations. Thank you again! This is why I love this hobby!!

Back