So many beautiful tanks, but are all of them stable?

Yesterday, today and most weekends I go out in my boat and before the partying starts I go slogging around in our very large muddy tide pools. I find this stuff very interesting and have been exploring these pools all my life. (I am old)
There are hermit crabs, fiddler crabs, green crabs, horseshoe crabs, and Japanese shore crabs along with the usual snails, worms amphipods etc. but the most important thing is the bacteria. I believe adding some of this mud along with it's suppliment of bacteria is crucial to the longivity and diversity of a captive reef. I also believe that if you use ASW as a lot of people are forced to do your bacteria is extreamly limited as to types and that is the biggest problem in keeping a reef healthy for many
years. It is the bacteria that filters our water and eliminates the wastes or at least changes it to something that we can live with. Bacteria in a bottle does not count nor does bacteria from a dealer's tank as that is probably the same as you have now. Diversity is the key and if you ever get a chance to go to the shore to get some of this stuff, grab it. Your tank will perk up shortly after it's addition. If you live far inland....move :eek1:
Well maybe not move, but at least come and visit me and bring old shoes.
Have a great what's left of the weekend
Paul

My electricity has been out for two days until a little while ago. I have a generator but only run it for about an hour every three hours.
The tank is fine, as a matter of fact, I think the fish liked the vacation from the current. :lol:

Back