SoCal or LA breeders

vsiege

I was looking around to see if anyone knew of some local breeders (SoCal and LA) that raised captive bred (CB) seahorses. I do not know of a good local fish store that sells captive's as the ones I've encountered don't seem to know much about there seahorse stock to begin with (not that I know a lot but it troubles me when someone is only really sure about their color).

Not that I know them all, far from it, the So CA breeders I know of have gotten out of SH, but SH ship fine...I'd look into Seahorse Source or Peka's Ponies. Both frequent this board and have really super stock.

I think after awhile, the labor and expense of raising fry to marketable size kinda burns folks out (that's why we quit rearing fry, altho we never had a biz).

It is difficult to turn a profit breeding seahorses. But what is more compelling is that other species of fish and corals are much more profitable. Given the current economics, most are going to what is most profitable as most are in survival mode.

Dan

It is difficult to turn a profit breeding seahorses. But what is more compelling is that other species of fish and corals are much more profitable. Given the current economics, most are going to what is most profitable as most are in survival mode.

Dan

So true Dan...It's getting tuff to find places that aren't simply carrying the "meat and potato" species as opposed to something interesting.

Back