Soda Lime for CO2 Scrubbing

Lots of co2 in the air that it's filtering out I'm guessing. I have had the basement window well open to the outside for the past month to help, which it has. I hesitate to slow any air intake down with a valve as I don't want to limit the skimmers performance. I bought a lot of soda lime so it should last through most of the winter.

I'm looking at buying a calcium reactor which could change everything.

Is it fair to say that once it's turned purple it's completely exhausted and no longer has any effect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waste of money, imo. I tried it and went through media in a week. My pH ranges 7.7-8.1 in a 700 sq ft building without it and the tank is fine. You're running 7.9-8.1 which is pretty typical for households.

Lots of co2 in the air that it's filtering out I'm guessing. I have had the basement window well open to the outside for the past month to help, which it has. I hesitate to slow any air intake down with a valve as I don't want to limit the skimmers performance. I bought a lot of soda lime so it should last through most of the winter.

I'm looking at buying a calcium reactor which could change everything.
That's what the T is for. You don't restrict the air intake of the skimmer that way. Check out the pictures I posted.

Waste of money, imo. I tried it and went through media in a week. My pH ranges 7.7-8.1 in a 700 sq ft building without it and the tank is fine. You're running 7.9-8.1 which is pretty typical for households.
7.7 briefly could be just fine and maybe not exact.

7.9-8.1 is good.

I like running a CO2 scrubber to stay over 7.8 with out effecting my Alk which is already as high as I would like it.

Is it fair to say that once it's turned purple it's completely exhausted and no longer has any effect?

I'd like to know the same. I'm going to leave it in until I start seeing average ph decline.

+1 to Teeing the skimmer air intake to decrease the proportion of flow through the CO2 scrubber. If you want to get fancy, put a pH-controlled solenoid on the scrubber line to only open at a pH below 8.0 :D

Here's an update. 48 hrs in. The exhaust rate slowed quite a bit and seeing a huge difference in ph.

7b71c225bcf24774c7696dd61a8e709a.jpg

I've been using BRS soda lime, how ever I've seen a much higher increase in pH by just cracking my garage door open.

I've been using BRS soda lime, how ever I've seen a much higher increase in pH by just cracking my garage door open.

MedVet 5lbs would be more economical and wait for an email from them with a cool promo item. It's usually something handy for free.

MedVet 5lbs would be more economical and wait for an email from them with a cool promo item. It's usually something handy for free.

During the summer and cold nights I may have no choice. I'll look into that.

It's been over a 100 for several days here so I can't just open the place up. I just have the issue in the summertime.

And there's no way I'm telling the wife she cant run the house air cause of the fish tank. Would not go over too well for me haha

Back