Sodium Hydroxide and aiptasia

Baalz

I have acquired some pure lab grade Sodium Hydroxide that comes in small tablets that look more like half a pellet.
Just need to know how to make up an aiptasia killing mixture. I'm assuming I dilute the tablets in water but I don't know how much.

When I kill aiptasia I don't make a solution since it has too low of a concentration to be effective. You can make a suspension of sodium hydroxide and that really nukes them. I would crush the sodium hydroxide pellets to make a fine powder then add some water until you have a milky looking suspension. It should just about have the viscocity of water. Suspend the sodium hydroxide by shaking vigorously for a few moments then use a syringe to inject a very small volume of the paste directly into the mouth of an aiptasia. Watch it squirm. Make sure your powerheads are off for about a half hour after treatment or the sodium hydroxide may be drawn out of the mouth of the aiptasia. Don't use too much at once or your pH will rise dramatically. Do a few every once in a while. Have fun watching them squirm!

Sodium hydroxide is incredibly soluble in fresh water. You can, if you want, make a solution that has more sodium hydroxide than water, but I'd probably try a 10% solution (1 part sodium hydroxide in 10 parts water, and be very careful to not do too much at once as it will boost the tank pH a lot, and alkalinity somewhat. You can always boost the concentration if that doesn't work.

Here's a recent thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1284851

When I kill aiptasia I don't make a solution since it has too low of a concentration to be effective. You can make a suspension of sodium hydroxide and that really nukes them.

Are you making that in fresh water, or salt water? It is so soluble in fresh water that I'd be surprised if a suspension is needed.

I made up a batch of concentrated sodium hydroxide with tank water once. I didn't want to store it, though. The next time I made up a suspension with distilled water and I still draw from that. I use a syringe to deliver the suspension to aiptasia. When I used a solution I had to watch the graduations on the syringe as I depressed it, all the while trying to keep the syringe needle in the aiptasia's mouth. That was tricky. With the suspension I can visually meter out a little white glob of the suspension as it is being injected into the mouth. That works well for me and it sure doesn't take much to make those little guys upset. I just finished nuking about 20 of them in a 200 gallon system at our school and noticed a negligible change in pH.

I assume you know this, but I will say it anyway. Be really careful with splashing sodium hydroxide solutions. Concentrate NaOH in the eye is blinding and very difficult to treat. I have had good experience with boiling water and lemon juice on aiptasia, and these are safer in my experience. Also be really careful with storate of the NaOH, especially if you have kids around.

If you goal it kill a small outbreak of aptasia there are safer ways. I took some kalk past with a little water and painted it on the rock where aptasia were. I put them right back in the tank Next day the aptasia was gone.

Hello Randy i know this is an old post however,
i just received 500g of fisher scientific Sodium Hydroxide which i would like to mix with RO water so i can inject into aipstasia. Can you please tell me what portions of water to pellets i should use...

sincerely,

Robin

Sodium hydroxide is incredibly soluble in fresh water. You can, if you want, make a solution that has more sodium hydroxide than water, but I'd probably try a 10% solution (1 part sodium hydroxide in 10 parts water, and be very careful to not do too much at once as it will boost the tank pH a lot, and alkalinity somewhat. You can always boost the concentration if that doesn't work.

Here's a recent thread:

Hello Randy,
i just received 500g of fisher scientific Sodium Hydroxide which i would like to mix with RO water so i can inject into aipstasia. Can you please tell me what portions of water to pellets i should use...

sincerely,

Robin

Over at the ARC we call that "reef napalm". I mix 1-2 tsp of sodium hydroxide with 100ml ro/di. I inject with a syringe anything I want to kill/control. Shrooms, xenia, ap's,mojo's. You must make sure all flow is off for 15-20 mins and let it do its thing. This is usually done right before a water change. Then I can just suck the shroom or whatever right out through the hose. Works like a champ and has never caused a problem in my tank. I never use more than 12-15ml at a time, however you can knock out quite a few with that amount.
Word of caution...do not get it on any coral that you do not intend to control it will burn the **** out of it.

Back