Sohal Tang?

LeviTillie

Ok, so I'm looking to upgrade my tank to somewhere in the 100g range but may go closer to 200g just so I can get a sohal tang. Which is why I'm starting this post. I know fish are like people so every fish is different but I thought I'd solicit input on how well these fish get along with other fish. I have a hippo tang that I'd like to keep and I was planning on getting a yellow tang as well but all the information out there about Sohal's say that they don't play well with other tangs which is a very broad statement. The sohal would be small (3-4 inches) and will be the last fish to be added for sure and I know that would help but I still have concerned with have these 3 tangs in a tank under 200g. Any input from people with sohal's would be awesome.

Thanks!
lg-74487-sohal-tang.jpg

A fellow reefer of mine across the street kept a Sohal, Hippo, Tomini, and a Sailfin tang all in a 125 gallon aquarium, along with a few other small fish. All the tangs were in the 3-6" range though, so I'm not sure what it would have been like when they were full grown. The Sohal didn't seem to bother the other tangs when I was visiting, but maybe it was only nice when I was there. I am pretty sure he didn't add the Sohal until all the other tangs had been in ther at least a month or two. Sadly though his tank just crashed a few days ago from a flatworm infestation and he lost all of his fish except a clown and a Red Sea dottyback.

But anyway, I would go closer to 200g, b/c that way you have more options with fish. For example, if you have at least 135 gallons and a 6' length, you could keep a school of 5 Yellow Tangs. Also, the more room you have, fish tempers seem to simmer down. Also with a Sohal, they like to have brisk water movement in there tank (but is good for all fishes, as it gives them more exercise), and if your also keeping SPS corals, a closed loop from a good external pump whould be nice. Good Luck, and may the force be with you!

Levi, I don't have a Sohol but I can tell you what others with them have said- VERY aggressive, a real tank clearer, i.e., killer. These fish grow to 18" (!) so plan on a plan to move it as they grow quickly. Also, these are very active swimmers so they require a lot of room.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12284722#post12284722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ssavader
Levi, I don't have a Sohol but I can tell you what others with them have said- VERY aggressive, a real tank clearer, i.e., killer. These fish grow to 18" (!) so plan on a plan to move it as they grow quickly. Also, these are very active swimmers so they require a lot of room.

Where have you read they grow that big? From the puplications I've read they have been recorded at just 15.6 inches in the wild but 10 inches is average in an aquarium and I've seen the same information online as well. If they get that big that's a show stopper right there, that's HUGE :)

I had one for 2 years it went from 4" to 8" in 6months and when it finally outgrew my 8ft 240gal tank he was 16" from tip of nose to the end of the streamers and about 2" thick. I sold him to a friend with a 1000gal lagoon I wouldn't keep one in a tank smaller then 300gal but that was my big fish. He hoovered everything in the tank I estimate he ate half the food I added to the tank, but on the bright side he ate all the hair algae that grew since after I got rid of him the hair algae started to grow wild. The 200gal would work for about a year or so and he will get too big and he will begin pacing back and forth in the tank, mine began to do that and so I gave him to a friend with a much bigger tank. Hope that helps it is my personal experience with one and not what a friend said...

Steve

I had one that I had to remove. It ate a lot (loved veggies) but it got VERY aggressive and territorial. Tank was a 350 G FOWLR.

I had one a while back. They grow, eat and swim FAST. The one I had was mean and even killed a purple I had the time (despite both being introduced simultaneously). Sohals are aggressive to any and just about all that enter the tank after him/her/it...whatever. However, they're also smart b/c the sohal I had never bothered my foxface.

I have never owned one because I sincerely believe it would outgrow my 240 very quickly, and apart from not being fair to my other fish, or to the sohal, it would be difficult to find a home for it at 10" plus, and for me that is just too much hasstle....

I've had one for about 6 months. It is in my 380g FOWLR with lots of other tangs and angels, even triggers. It isn't aggressive, but it doesn't take any crap either. Right now it's about 6".

I have a newly started 240...My 2 "must have fish" were a Sohal Tang and Emperor Angel which was the reason for the 8 foot tank, even now I am still having second thoughts about the Sohal due to some of the horror stories I have heard. As we all know, each fish is different, but I have heard stories of Sohals dominating huge systems and using their "scalpal" to slash any and all fish.

That's what I'm struggling with too. I'm thinking if you get a small sohal, make sure you add it absolutely last, makse sure it has tons of room and observe it with other fish for some time you MIGHT be ok. I'm sad to say but I think that's the best case.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12284489#post12284489 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyclam
But anyway, I would go closer to 200g, b/c that way you have more options with fish. For example, if you have at least 135 gallons and a 6' length, you could keep a school of 5 Yellow Tangs. Also, the more room you have, fish tempers seem to simmer down. Also with a Sohal, they like to have brisk water movement in there tank (but is good for all fishes, as it gives them more exercise), and if your also keeping SPS corals, a closed loop from a good external pump whould be nice. Good Luck, and may the force be with you!

A school of 5 Yellow Tangs in a 125g? Think not, buddy.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12291379#post12291379 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheSaltwaterGuy
A school of 5 Yellow Tangs in a 125g? Think not, buddy.

That's not very useful, do you have anything of benefit to add or are you just here to criticize? I do agree, it sounds like too many to me also but this post isn't about yellow tangs so I opted not start the side bar but I don't agree with 1 line negative comments that provide no benefit to others. Know what I mean?

The only thing I was saying is there is no way 5 Yellow Tangs would be happy in a 125g. You want useful information right? Well, there's some, "Never put 5 tangs in a 125g for life."

Last edited:
Five yellow tangs do not school and they would not do very well in a 200 gallon tank. Is that worded better?

Back