Some Excellent Reading

Even though studies have not yet been conducted on the algal uptake selectivity of clams, it would make sense that some mechanism would exist. Other (Most) organisms that host symbiotic microbes tend to select for only those that are beneficial, as uptake of pathogenic would be detrimental. The Hawaiian bobtail squid (E. scolops, I believe?) possesses a "light organ" which houses symbiotic V. fischeri. The squid actually selects for this specific species of bacterium on the cellular level via specialized crypt cells, a series of selective host defenses, and communication factors for detection and localization of the bacterium to the light organ. Symbiotic plants with nodules that house nitrogen fixing bacteria also release communication factors into the surrounding soil, which guides the bacterium through uptake. The bacteria also possess a series of factors that are released in order to communicate with the plant. In both cases, squid and plant, there is a two-way communication avenue that each has evolved to form a symbiotic association. What proceeds after uptake is a restructuring of the host organism by the bacterium in order to create a "house" of sorts that allows the bacterium to proliferate. An interesting study would be to examine larval growth and development in photosynthetic clams after aseptic fertilization and exposure to individual species of algal symbionts and non-symbionts.

Im reprinting this from another thread because I think it will reach a larger audience here.....

Thank you for taking the time to post this Kalkbreath. I also share your belief that small clams are often overfed by hobbiests trying to "do the right thing" and end up smothering/killing their clams, and polluting their tanks.

I have had the pleasure of talking to Gerald Heslinga in the late 90's. Gerald is one of the early pioneers that helped (considerably) make Tridacnid clam farming a success.

Gerald set me straight: ammonia and nitrogen fixing is the real key for nourishment in Tridacnid clams along with proper illumination.

I prefer to take the advice of someone who has actually and successfully spawned and reared Tridacnids on a large scale.

So excellent reading, if you can find it:

Fitt, W. K., G. A. Heslinga and T. C. Watson. 1993. Utilization of dissolved inorganic nutrients in the growth and mariculture of the giant clam, Tridacna derasa. Aquaculture 109, 27-38.

Hastie, L. C., T. C. Watson and G. A. Heslinga. 1992. Effect of nutrient enrichment on Tridacna derasa: dissolved inorganic nitrogen improves growth rate. Aquaculture 106: 41-49.

Last edited:
I realize this is an old thread....but someone in the very beginning said he doesn't feed his clams.....all he does is scrape the algae off the glass (that naturally grows in the tank) and this in and of itself puts food into the water for both coral and clam?

Great information! I have been thinking of getting a clam for a long time so I want to find out everything I can before I make the purchase.

I realize this is an old thread....but someone in the very beginning said he doesn't feed his clams.....all he does is scrape the algae off the glass (that naturally grows in the tank) and this in and of itself puts food into the water for both coral and clam?

Scraping the glass doesnt feed clams

Clams need strong intense light and good water parameters only.

Back