Some Excellent Reading

Re: daily feedings

dragon_slayer said:
I feed my tank daily with ESV spray dried phytoplankton
Actually you might want to rethink this. A couple of MACNA's ago (2001?) Rob Toonen did a presentation concerning the various planktonic foods (iirc DT's, Cryo-pastes, Golden Pearls, Spray Dried Phytoplankton, and Black Powder...there may have been others as well) available to the hobby. As it turned out ESV SDPP tends to clump up into a particle size which is too large for the animals (I forget which) involved in testing. This was the case even if a high speed blender was used.

Clams require a very specific particle size of phytoplankton, otherwise their gills could become clogged. This can be fatal to the clam. The articles on this very subject, linked at the top of this thread, are definitely worth the read.

Live phytoplankton (such as DT's) should not be a cause for concern as a source for pollution. What doesn't get eaten will survive until it does get eaten, or be removed via skimming. I'd be more concerned with uneaten freeze-dried foods polluting the tank.

IMO, IME

dragon_slayer said:

I like the spray dried over the live as it seams to be less pollutant on a tank IME.

kc

I cant imaging anything that is live being more "pollutant" than anything that is dead. wether it be fish, coral or phytoplankton.

The only link I can get to work is the "Suspension Feeding" one :(
Anyone else having trouble with them?

Yep. Links are bad.:(

DT's changed their site and are using framesets. That may be why some links went bad. Anyway, go to DT's Website and look for the link called "Articles".

Ted

Last edited:
Links worked for me, and they are great reading. Setting up my first BIG tank (175 gallon), anyone know of a good DIY refugium site? After reading several link articles I decided to go with one, but DIY is the only way I can afford one.

Back