Sponge my take over the reefs?

It's not just sponge growth, but also macro algae growth (probably more so the algae) that is causing problems from overgrowth due to loss of grazers...primarily Parrot Fish which are targeted in many Caribbean Island fisheries.

I would encourage you to read Forest Rohwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" The big problem with reefs is the over fishing of the sharks (makes up 85% of the fish biomass {and provides a lot of poop loaded with phosphates, uric acid [nitrogen], calcium and magnesium carbonate crystals for corals to feed on}) then the big herbivores as Billsreef pointed out. Sponges are critical for converting the DOC released by algae into DIC used by corals. Unfortunately when the big herbivores are fished out that leaves a lot more algae releasing a lot more DOC for the sponges spurring their growth to deal with it. (And skimmers don't do much for DOC, do your water changes!)

Well... it may not be all that bad. Sponge reefs used to be very common millions of years ago, and served similar purposes anyways, to coral reefs. :3

Amen to the post about overfishing Sharks as a MAJOR, yet often overlooked (very unfortu ate), reason why the Oceans are doing so poorly so rapidly as of late ... "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" is definitely an excellent book, which I would highly recommend for anyone with a University/Research reading level

Azedenkae. Please don't be one of those; perpetuating the "well, its all fine, things used to be that way before ... Yea, and the Planet was once run by dinosaurs ... C'mon now people !

And if you're one offended (get a grip) by that post, you likely are a part of the problem. Cause a change in thinking/behavior, and be a part of the solution ...

Back