Spray , When, where ,how and basically WHY ?

bonjo

Ok i have a clue on where to spray ( leaves ) , but when ? before/after or during ....day or dark period ? and mainly why ? i mean , what that trick , duplicates ? what happens in nature that help the plant export salts ?

naaaahhh , i 'm not easily convinced , if i spray ma plants during light cycle they will propably get stressed , to duplicate a tropical rain i have to washout my living room

You wont be trying to duplicate a tropical rain. It doesn't take that much to help the plant export salt. In nature, the first few seconds of a tropical rain will help the plant as much as it is going to. It does rain during the day also and the plants will not get stressed any more than they do in nature. The thin film of water will not affect the amount of light reaching the plant any more than a cloud rolling overhead and if your worried about a temperature shock, you can adjust the water to room temp (or whatever temp you think is appropriate), although any rain is typically much colder than the surrounding air / soil / water a mangrove grows in.
I'm not trying to convince you. Do some internet searches and find out this info. Post back when you have different information so I can learn too.

hmmmm...... still not sure if the rain is what we want to replicate , every morning the air humidity wears a thin layer of water on everything exposed to it , there are cases that mangrooves wait 6 months to take any water from the sky , they take the water from the air moisture

I'll drive it ma way , ill spray the half of them 30 mins before lights on and the others after the lights , i bet that the best coorespondance will be from the morning mist .

And as about the exported salts , i've beeen noticed some salt acumulation on the leaves reight on the edge of every leave there's not much but if they keeep building up and me remove it , how much salt is there going to be off , isn't gonna alter the water salinity ? i have a 200l tank with sumps/refugiums/mangroove tank total 350l i have 4 , one meter mediteranean species of grooves (they are actually trees with roots submerged and not plant/flower like , If i stop wter movement to the groovetank the daily top off reduces over the 1/3 (about 2-2.5 litre per day , with the grooves i've been looosing over 4 liters per day , in a timeline of a year , the grooves will absorb my tanks volume in water (about 360 l only by the 50 l sump ) isn't that going to affect the total chemistry of ma reef ? they are going yo uptake about a cubic gallon in one year , ar they going to absorb about 12 kilos of salt too ? if yes , what to do ? if no , what happens then ?

I ask you to forgive me if i sound like the devils hand but i just reallized that grooves may be not that good as they sound

Again, you don't want to replicate/ duplicate rain in your house. You just want to help the plant get rid of the salt on it's leaves. You asked "what happens in nature that help the plants export salts". (You actually answered your own question "why to spray" by asking that question). I answered that question. I stand by that answer. When you say, "Naaaah", it sounds like you are saying rain does not help salt export. Well, it does. There are no two ways around it. Could there be other things that help export salt, absolutely.
Early morning humidity is something I hadn't considered but it would make sense that it would also help the plant export salts- if the moisture is enough to drip off of the leaves and not just sit on them- thereby dissolving the salts only to have them stay on the leaves when the water evaporates.
Salinity is something that can be adjusted for by altering the amount of top off water OR making the top off water a little saline, which ever way is needed. It seems to me that a little misting of the leaves would take the salt (that has been exported by the trees) with it back to the water of the system (tanks) and the bigger the plant, the more salt would be exported by the plant. The mist can be counted as part of the top off water if it goes back into your systems but it will be carrying a little salt too.
You are correct when you say that mangroves are as good as they sound. There are many plant species that will do a better job at nutrient export and require less maintenance. Nutrient export isn't the only reason to use them. In nature, they also provide a nursery/ sanctuary for many species. Mangroves are a beneficial part of a marine ecosystem though and experimenting with them isn't a bad thing when hobbyists are trying to establish a multi-tank system like yours. Integrating concepts from many different aspects of marine ecology more closely simulates the total picture of a reef environment.
I would be interested in your experiment results and hope you post back when/ if differences become apparent.

Already the first results come up , today is the second day at misting (well its not mist it's just the common bottle with the vaporizer on top ) , i sprayed the first two , 1 hour after lights of , the leaves look much fatter and greener , and they trying to strech them self to the lights (2x125 mh) you are true , the humidity isn't just do the work as at the most of the leaves , water evaporates before fallin off the leave leaving a white salty line at the edge , but with just a litle shaking they fell back into the sump ( actually only 10% falls in the sump others on the floor ) the other plants i sprayed them just before lights on well actually nothing happened , the water evaporaded too fast (less than half an hour ) so i stick after the lights off

I never tryied to make fun of you or make you fool with hmmms and naaaahsss , it's just ma way of thinking , thx a hole banch for the help firstly and for the inspiration you gave me

Already the first results come up , today is the second day at misting (well its not mist it's just the common bottle with the vaporizer on top ) , i sprayed the first two , 1 hour after lights of , the leaves look much fatter and greener , and they trying to strech them self to the lights (2x125 mh) you are true , the humidity isn't just do the work as at the most of the leaves , water evaporates before fallin off the leave leaving a white salty line at the edge , but with just a litle shaking they fell back into the sump ( actually only 10% falls in the sump others on the floor ) the other plants i sprayed them just before lights on well actually nothing happened , the water evaporaded too fast (less than half an hour ) so i stick after the lights off

I never tryied to make fun of you or make you fool with hmmms and naaaahsss , it's just ma way of thinking , thx a hole banch for the help firstly and for the inspiration you gave me

Information is a wonderful thing. Thanks for sharing your results. If you find that things change in the future, I would be interested in reading about them. Keep up the good work!!
Rick

Back