Spraying for bugs in the house

tastydog

We have an exterminator coming Wed to spray for bugs in the house and outside, he said all pets and animals should be out of the house for at least 4 hours afterwards. What does this mean for my 90gal tank? How do I protect and do I need to? I have heard of even small amounts of poison in other rooms killing things in a tank.

Any help would be great.

Brandon

To be on the safe side while he is spraying I would cover your tank with either plastic or a sheet to prevent airborn contamination. Also turn the skimmer off if they say 4 hours I'd leave the skimmer off for 4 hours. Obviously if you have an airpump for whatever reason turn that off as well.

Other than that tell the bug person to stay clear of the tank :)

oh man. so few molecules of bug poison can trash a reeftank.

the hot setup is to get a positive pressure ventilation system set up.

the theory is to pump pressurized air into an enclosure so that only that air leaks out and no lower pressure contaminated air gets in. how involved that may get is anyone's guess, but probably a fan, plastic and a tube or w/e are involved.

fwiw, in highly explosive atmospheres in industry, electronics are put in enclosures with nitrogen gas pumped in to keep the explosive atmosphere away from the electronics in case of a spark.

best of luck and may god have mercy on your reef.

hey, howabout he skip that one room? then maybe you could just pump air into the whole room from a window fan or something.

There are air bags that enclose cars and motorcycles, usually for collector items. They pump air in from the outside. You can get one of those.

Is there anyone that has actually gone through this. I know there has to be. Please someone help that KNOWS what needs or doesn't need to be done.

Brandon

I did this a few years ago when I only had a FOWLR. I cut up garbage bags and taped them together, then taped them to the tank. Everything in the tank was fine afterwards. If you have a high bioload might be tougher, but for a few hours you should be ok.

Thank you for your response. I am going to contact the LFS and the one in Denver and see what they say. I will post my findings and my eventual results.

Brandon

"paranoia strikes deep ..." I have had my house treated (sprayed) inside and out quarterly forever and have never had a problem. I have never turned anything off or covered anything.

Whatever you do, make sure you put some extra carbon in your system during this time.. unless they are misting your house, tell them to stay away from your tank and you should be fine.. Good Luck.

when i bombed my apartment several years ago I covered the tank with plastic and turned off everything...i waited only two hours and returned w/o issues to the tank...

are they just spraying the floors or fogging the house? If it's just the spray that they put along the baseboards, you don't have to do anything. I've simply asked them not to spray right at my aquarium (so within 4 feet). We have the house sprayed every 3 months and it has NEVER been an issue. If you're having the house fogged, then that's another story.

I have to periodically fog my entire house, and just covering the tank with a bed sheet is all I ever do and it has always been just fine. I turn off my skimmer, but leave my other stuff running.

If they are spraying the baseboards and doorways the 4 hour pet thing is to keep the pets off of the wet pesticide until it dries thoroughly and is safer. I just wouldn't let them spray anywhere near the tank. And, you could always turn the skimmer off until after they are done

are they just spraying the floors or fogging the house? If it's just the spray that they put along the baseboards, you don't have to do anything. I've simply asked them not to spray right at my aquarium (so within 4 feet). We have the house sprayed every 3 months and it has NEVER been an issue. If you're having the house fogged, then that's another story.

x2
We have the house treated every 2 months with no problems. I ask that he gives a bit of a buffer around the sump area in the basement to prevent any accidental exposure. Aside from that, spray on. No negative effects on anything to date.

Yeah, everything went fine it appears. They sprayed Monday and no ill effects as of today. Thanks for the replies people.

Glad everything went well, I had the same situation and I was so worried about it and ended up covering the tank and sump with industrial plastic and tons of duct tape lol

Back