Sprung's Chalice and Green Brain Health

Hey all,

How does this Sprung's Chalice look to you? Also, picked this brain up from my LFS and it looked very good. They have extraordinarily weak LED's on their system. I don't think it has been there long, but under my LED's then halides now, it doesn't look so hot. Not sure if I should chuck it or keep it.

Brain

The chalice looks good but the other piece looks about gone. I would probably keep it and shade it until all the flesh is gone, you never know with lps, they can bounce back sometimes from extremely rough shape.

Thanks. Not sure how it was doing so well at the LFS. The LED's they have are atrocious.

Maybe they are better than I thought though, lol.

It might not be that theirs are bad but yours are too strong. I know mine are over 3 ft off the sand bed and can burn some lps if I put them directly under them.

You know, you could be right. They have the Deep Blue solar flare fx, mounted about 2 ft. off their tanks. One 36" fixture over about a 55 gallon tank and all their corals look pretty good. Amazes me.

Maybe we over light our tanks a lot.

I knew it,

cheap LFS LED lighting, I just moved it up to my 25 gallon cube with Ecoxotic LED's, only about 5 strips and it came back out overnight. Just amazing.

Ughhhhh.......400W halides and you would think you are set, rofl.

I often wonder about all the statements on these threads that say the 1 watt LEDs are useless for anything but zoas & softies. A local LFS has a small display with the Ecoxotic actnic & 10K strips: with scolys, acans, zoas, SPS acros etc within 18" of the fixture & they have thrived for years. It does get some natural sunlight for a few hours occasionally through small windows however.

I'm a T5 guy and still can bleach stuff like trumpets, favia & favites in the T5 system in the top 25% of the tank. And it seems that most owners of the monster 3 watt fixtures run them at one half to one third of maximum power.

Just rambling here...but just wondering about the wisdom of buying these powerful expensive 3 watt fixtures for anything less than deep SPS & Maxima clam ranks.

Anybody out there who has defied conventional wisdom and built a great stony reef tank with 1 watt LED fixtures?

BTW your Sprung chalice looks perfect. I have seen them for sale a lot lately. Mine grows as fast as a monti cap. A great hardy coral for sure.

Your plate still has tissue from what I can see from the pic. How's that going?

I grew sps like weeds in my biocube 14 with 2 panorama pro LEDs. Montis, few acros, birdsnests, cat paw and so on. Wasn't enough light for crocea clam though.

Reef Frog, the brain has made a full comeback under the Ecoxotic LED's.

When I bought that cube system with the hood from my LFS, I thought the LED's were a bit dated and wouldn't be enough. Well, everything I put in there thrives!

The 3w fixtures are WAY overkill from my experience. I have had them all and haven't had a lot of luck. The only one that did good was the Radion Pro. My Mitras did good for a little bit, but didn't seem to be able to sustain the growth and color. It is still a great fixture, I think I might have just had it turned up a little too much.

My Sprung's Chalice was looking a little over lighted, so I put it upstairs too. It is doing very well under the Ecoxotics.

If I go back LED anytime in the future, the Ecoxotics have my vote. They have performed better than anything I have owned to date and I have had them ALL. AI's, Radion Pros, Mitras, Kessil, you name it, I have had it.

Back